Time keeping in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CrackedButter, Mar 28, 2003.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I'm using a brand new iBook but i'm wondering about its time keeping because my clock keeps resetting itself after i turn it off and sets the time back to 1970!

Is this a hardware problem or would i need to update the OS? I'm running 10.2.1.

If i need to update the OS i could ruin my battery couldn't I with the 10.2.4 update?
    I'm also on 56k as well!

Maybe buying the update cd is an option?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you have your doubts about 10.2.4, give 10.2.3 a go, you can get the update here.

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

question...i have a bad battery and if its a problem with the os 10.2.4 (it shows the same symptoms) can you down grade to 10.2.3?

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Re: Time keeping in OSX

Your PMU (Power Management Unit) has stored some bad data. You need to reset it. Check out Apple's Knowledge Base at http://www.apple.com/support
    and do a search for Power Managment, it will explain how to do it. But, I believe it requires shutting down and then holding down fn+Apple+Option+Control+Power... but I'm not sure.

TEG

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

7. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Are you telling me this could format my laptop? It mentions my RAM disk being wiped but i would class this as memory and not a HD. Which is it?

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: Time keeping in OSX

Eeeek. I wonder when Apple is going to create key combinations requiring toes in addition to fingers. :D

(Excuse me for being off topic.)

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

RAM disk is a part of memory allocated to be used as HD, therefore creating a (small) HD which is incredibly fast.
    It will do nothing to your "normal" HD.