Time Limit/Parental Controls App

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by apmusicman, Sep 9, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2011

I've just bought my son a new iPhone, but I'm obviously concerned about how he uses it. I was wondering if any of you know of an app that does the following:

1. Gives a set amount of time during the day that the phone can be used. For example, the phone can be used between 7am and 9pm. After that, it locks up and won't be available until the next day at 7am.

2. Locks the phone completely during "off" times. Meaning, no app can be used, no browsing can take place, no SMS, etc. The only thing that would be allowed would be phone calls in and out of the phone.

3. The ability to "hide" the app so that it can't be uninstalled during available time. Or, the ability to prevent deleting the app until a password is given.

Here's the reason I ask. I've seen a number of apps that allow you to limit safari's access to the web, but most apps have a built in browser now that allows you to get around that. We've put an app called B.O.B on the phone and it does a good job limiting the safari browser, but he has the Facebook app on his phone and you can simply access the internet by searching for google and going to their info page and clicking on their link. It's a very elegant way to get around the safari blocking app.

The other reason is that I hear him up at all hours of the night texting with friends. We've taken the phone away at night and put it under lock and key to prevent this from happening and we'll probably still do it, but I'd like the added protection of knowing that no matter what, when the phone shuts down at 9pm, there is no more phone usage.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts for me, I'd really appreciate it.
  2. macrumors 68030

Jun 30, 2010
  3. macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    The only way to prevent someone from using the phone is by putting a Passcode lock, otherwise, what your asking is not possible.

Due to Sandboxing, Apps are self contain and do not have access to core functionality of the device, meaning that no App can lock or power down the device at any point for any reason (this is due to security and to prevent malicious activities).

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2011
    Got it. I thought that might be the case, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
  5. macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida
    Some carriers allow you to set up hours and such on their end, you might check that side of it. I've seen the ability to restrict texts, but honestly haven't checked further as to what is available for my DD (who does not have an iPhone).

Please go to apple.com/feedback and share with apple what you would like to see in this area. The more they hear, the more they might be apt to help us parents.

I use Mobicip on our iOS devices and it helps, but you are right in things are easier to circumvent at this point. I have an easier time because I don't have the cell side of it to contend with. I can shut my wifi off during certain hours and be good.

I'd stick with the phone being "yours" at a certain time each night until you get a system in place.