Time Machine Backup Corrupted. How to Repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by noobforlife, Feb 7, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2008
    Anyone know what to do about a bad catalog b-tree in a sparsebundle? My hard drive crashed. I turned to Time Machine to restore it. I found its sparsebundle was corrupted, too.

Here is what I have tried:

Repairing from Disk Utility:
    No luck. "Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible . . ."
    Console reported:
    Feb 7 10:00:01 tmps-MacBook-Pro diskarbitrationd12: unable to repair /dev/disk3s2 (status code 0x00000008).
    Feb 7 10:00:02 tmps-MacBook-Pro diskmanagementd3115: APICALLBACK_dmAsyncFinishedForDisk_FSCK_result dmErr=-9957 detailErr=8

Repairing from Disk Warrior:
    Again, no luck: The directory of the disk "Time Machine Backups" cannot be rebuilt. This disk is not eligible. Only Mac OS disks that are locally attached are eligible.
    Console reported:
    2/7/10 10:06:38 AM DiskWarrior App: Error resolving disk with VM pages. (-43)
    2/7/10 10:08:48 AM hdiutil: detach: timeout for DiskArbitration expired
    2/7/10 10:08:48 AM hdiutil: detach: drive not detached
    2/7/10 10:08:48 AM DiskWarriorRebuildServer: Error 1 executing '/usr/bin/hdiutil'
    2/7/10 10:08:48 AM DiskWarrior App: hdiutil detach returned 2
    2/7/10 10:08:59 AM DiskWarrior App: Error resolving disk with VM pages. (-43)

Lastly, I tried the method on this web page (even though the problem they described wasn't mine):

It involves attaching the sparsebundle drive without mounting it and running fsck against it.

Still no luck.

Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-491~1).
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Detected a case-sensitive volume.
    Checking extents overflow file.
    Checking catalog file.
    Rebuilding catalog B-tree.
    Invalid node structure
    (14, 50220)
    Invalid record count
    (14, 50220)
    The volume Time Machine Backups could not be repaired.

The b-tree looks bad and I have no idea what do do about it now.

Thanks much!
  2. macrumors 68040

Jun 8, 2007
    Sparse bundle disk images, HFS Plus repairs, Time Machine, restoration, reliability

JanX2 wrote:

How to fix a Corrupted Time Machine Backup | Jthon's Place (2008-07-20)

Also with reference to that 2008 post, in Ask Different:

How can I avoid repeated “Time Machine must create a new backup” errors when backing up to a third party NAS?

From Suitability of HFS Plus (my answer):

Degrees of failure

In the past I sometimes forced fsck_hfs(8) to rebuild b-tree files … with limited success but not certainty. Whilst a file system may appear to be OK (in Disk Utility and the like) I would no longer trust it for Time Machine backup or restoration purposes.

In the most recent case (above) multiple applications of force (multiple rebuilds of the catalog b-tree, a rebuild of the extended attributes b-tree and a rebuild of the extents b-tree) have not led to a verifiable file system. I have debug logs from these attempts, which I'll not begin to summarise here; they're massive. …​