Time Machine backup from a different machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mobiousblack, Jun 28, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Jun 14, 2012
    So I sold my retina MacBook Pro a few days before WWDC thinking they would announce the new ones with haswell, as we all know they didn't and now I'm without a Macbook lol.

So after much contemplation I decided to buy a MacBook Air to hold me off until they announce the rmbp 15inch with haswell.

I have a time machine backup that I created in my retina MacBook Pro, can I restore it to my new air once I get it? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question because I never used time machine before and the rmbp was my first Macbook.
  2. macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    You don't want to do a restoration. You want to do a data migration.

When you boot a new Mac for the first time, it asks if you would like to import/migrate data. This is where you would copy the data off your Time Machine backup.
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2007
    agreed with above post cause i just did the same thing recently. actually time machine wouldn't let me restore from the backup of another machine, but using migration assistant I was able to bring everything (data, settings, etc.) over and basically everything is back to the way it was on my other machine.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Jun 14, 2012
    Alright thanks everyone I will make sure I use migration assistant.