Time Machine Backup Preferences

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by vim147, Feb 12, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Anyone know if i can only just set time machine to just backup my spreadsheets only from selecting a folder or must i back up the whole HDD first ?

Not really interested in backing up all system files etc.

2. macrumors 6502a

At least through the UI you can only exclude folders, not do an "exclude all except" kind of setting. So you could just exclude each of the system folders if you'd like. Keep in mind that most application settings and data are stored in the /Library and ~/Library folders, so you may want to back those up, even if you exclude /Applications and /System.

If you have a small number of files you want to back up, you might consider a different option like Dropbox.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

There is no option through the UI to exclude anything.

Am using the icon on the top to access the time machine not a particular software.

4. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Click on the icon.

Click on options on the bottom right corner.

Exclude your hard drive.

Then uncheck what you want to back up.

May I ask why you don't want to back up the whole thing?

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Just need my spreadsheets backed up, otherwise i'll do it manually.

Not bothered about system files as it'll take up too much space for something i can just reinstall if i get a problem with it.

6. macrumors 6502

if your spreadsheets are not huge why not going for google drive or similar, you will put all of them in the respective folder and they are all backup and accessible from anywhere...

7. thread starter macrumors regular

So I take it, there's no real way to back up just spreadsheets on its own without backing up the full drive first.

I already store it on Google drive, but thought it would just be easier to have a automatic system that would do it every night.

8. macrumors 68000

James Craner

Unfortunately Time Machine was designed as a turn on and forget backup solution for your entire drive. You can exclude particular folders or an entire drive, but as you have discovered it is not very easy to just backup a few folders. Time Machine has an exclude function, but not a include function.

9. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Yes there is. Exclude the whole drive.

Then uncheck what you'd like to back up.

10. macrumors 68000

James Craner

what uncheck facility ? You can only exclude drives or directories or files, I have my whole HD2 drive excluded - there is no way to uncheck folders within that excluded drive, so that they are included.

11. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Ohhh...

My bad. I was thinking of a TM utility I used before (set times, allowed you to not back up certain stuff) but it doesn't work under ML.

Sorry!

12. macrumors demi-god

glenthompson

Get a utility like Carbon Copy Cloner and set up a scheduled task to copy the files you want backed up. You can set the times you want he task to run, like lunch and night.

CCC is also excellent for making a clone of your boot drive to use if your main drive dies. Just plug it in,boot from it, and you're back in business.