Time Machine & Filevault 2: do I need to log out?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Kosmonaut, Jul 22, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2006
    Now that we have Filevault 2, is it possible to run Time Machine backups without having to log out (as I understand was necessary with Filevault 1)?

I have searched everywhere, and have been unable to confirm it one way or the other.
  2. macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Oct 27, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm curious about this too. I guess I'd like to encrypt my internal disk as well as my external drives (including my time machine disk), but I'm wondering if I have to log out as well or if I'll see a performance hit.
  3. macrumors newbie

Feb 26, 2011
    I am using Filevault 2 on my internal disk to encrypt it as well as my external Time Machine drive(which I had to re-partition to encrypt it). Using the previous version of Filevault, it was a pain but now, I can backup while still being logged into my computer without a noticeable drag on the OS. Hope this helps.
  4. macrumors 65816

Nov 8, 2010
    South Carolina
    Can you explain how you're doing this?
  5. macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2009
    Filevault 2 is completely transparent to all software, including Time Machine. You do not need to log out for TM backups to occur.
  6. macrumors member

May 11, 2010
    As been said, you do not need to log out anymore, and since it encrypts everything (they changed it to smaller packages too?), Time Machine does not make a backup of your entire Home Folder every time you make a backup, but seems to work similar to an un-filevaulted backup.
  7. macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2011
    It is definitely nice to see that we don't need to log out to back up the HD and both drives will be encrypted.

Any idea why my HD size is about 30GB but all my Time Machine backups over the last 12 hours only add up to 20GB? Where is the other 10? The initial backup was only around 17GB ...
  8. Kosmonaut, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2006
    An update:

I did turn on Filevault, and it was able to continue Time Machine backups without logging out.