Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kosmonaut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
Now that we have Filevault 2, is it possible to run Time Machine backups without having to log out (as I understand was necessary with Filevault 1)?

I have searched everywhere, and have been unable to confirm it one way or the other.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm curious about this too. I guess I'd like to encrypt my internal disk as well as my external drives (including my time machine disk), but I'm wondering if I have to log out as well or if I'll see a performance hit.

karltc

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
I am using Filevault 2 on my internal disk to encrypt it as well as my external Time Machine drive(which I had to re-partition to encrypt it). Using the previous version of Filevault, it was a pain but now, I can backup while still being logged into my computer without a noticeable drag on the OS. Hope this helps.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I am using Filevault 2 on my internal disk to encrypt it as well as my external Time Machine drive(which I had to re-partition to encrypt it). Using the previous version of Filevault, it was a pain but now, I can backup while still being logged into my computer without a noticeable drag on the OS. Hope this helps.

Can you explain how you're doing this?

frankieboy

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
Now that we have Filevault 2, is it possible to run Time Machine backups without having to log out (as I understand was necessary with Filevault 1)?

Filevault 2 is completely transparent to all software, including Time Machine. You do not need to log out for TM backups to occur.

FranzMarc

macrumors member
May 11, 2010

I have searched everywhere, and have been unable to confirm it one way or the other.

As been said, you do not need to log out anymore, and since it encrypts everything (they changed it to smaller packages too?), Time Machine does not make a backup of your entire Home Folder every time you make a backup, but seems to work similar to an un-filevaulted backup.

ReggaePoweredDC

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
It is definitely nice to see that we don't need to log out to back up the HD and both drives will be encrypted.

Any idea why my HD size is about 30GB but all my Time Machine backups over the last 12 hours only add up to 20GB? Where is the other 10? The initial backup was only around 17GB ...

Kosmonaut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
An update:

I did turn on Filevault, and it was able to continue Time Machine backups without logging out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.