Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I'm wondering if anybody has any idea how much external storage would be required for time machine?

I'm guessing its one of those situations where more is better, but with my internal 100GB disk, how far back will my 250GB external disk allow me to go?
Or does this depend on the amount of changes I make on my disk?

Anybody happen to have any information or ideas about this?

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
mfacey said:
I'm wondering if anybody has any idea how much external storage would be required for time machine?

I'm guessing its one of those situations where more is better, but with my internal 100GB disk, how far back will my 250GB external disk allow me to go?
Or does this depend on the amount of changes I make on my disk?

Anybody happen to have any information or ideas about this?

It would all depend on the changes. If you fill a 100 GB disk and never change anything there is nothing new for TM to back up and therefore 100 GB would be sufficient.

The larger the drive, the further back you can go but once again it all depends on changes. If you generate 10 GB worth of new files every day a 250 GB drive would last you 25 days. But if you generate less than 1 GB you'd be safe for almost a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.