Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
forget wireless forget Ethernet

migrating using a time machine backup seems to be the most straight forward way to go

Kudos to apple for providing this as an option

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Not exactly what your point is but I posted that because the initlal articles compared wired vs wireless where wired was ethernet but the simplest of approaches is to simply plug in the USB drive you're using for your Time Machine backups.

Oooooooooook???

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
Not exactly what your point is but I posted that because the initlal articles compared wired vs wireless where wired was ethernet but the simplest of approaches is to simply plus in the USB drive you're using for your Time Machine backups.

Not sure why you started a thread on this.....

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Simple there was a consensus that Migration Assistant just doesn't work over wireless and everybody said go out and buy the ethernet adapter. Well if that's the only reason you need to go out and buy the ethernet adapter don't. Simply use your Time Machine backup device instead.

I don't think it's a coincidence that it's costs extra money to buy the adapter and the fact that the bloggers were recommending it for data migration.

Not sure why you started a thread on this.....

wacso

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
great post

this is a very helpful post and does seem to be the most obvious way to migrate to the air...as long as the hard drive isn't firewire only. thanks!

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
I agree, Time Machine restore is the best data migration option. Fast, easy, and a good way to test your TM backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.