Time machine issues please help me out.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tbluhp, Jan 14, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

I been having TM issues.

1) Unable to do any time machine restores from system recovery or even when I put the mac os disk in would not let me restore my system. System recovery says's that their are no system backups to restore. HMMM so what I did was reformat my TM loosing everything from July 2012 to now. Still same problem so next I reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything and did a TM backup once more (their are nothing in the excluded list under TM options.). Still no luck.

2) Migrate Assistance shows up the TM disk but once I enter my password it (MA) will not continue

Please see the pictures it's hard for me to explain as I am frustrated been ongoing problems and I do meet all the requirements. Latest OS and everything.

I am though able to view my TM when I click on enter TM on the right hand menu bar. What did I do wrong do I need to re-format to mac or the tm again?

Attached Files:

2. thread starter macrumors 6502a

also one other picture.

Attached Files:

3. macrumors 603

justperry

You went the complete wrong way with this and could have prevented Data loss if you asked before you decided to wipe the External TimeMachine.

It seems to me you have problems inside your current OS Install and not the TM backup.
    You should have started up in recovery, then clean install and restore from the TM backup, it would have worked, now you lost all.
    The problem is in the OS.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I did a clean instal and still unable to get anything working.

5. macrumors 603

justperry

How is the external disk formatted, for instance it won't work on anything else than HFS+ , so not NTFS or FAT or exFAT.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you talking about my hard drive or the apple time machine? I can't change the format of time machine but my hard drive is formated to

Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Available : 452.54 GB (452,536,274,944 Bytes)

I did do disk repair and disk permissions and even used drive genius app.

Their is only one patron on my hard drive and no boot camp.

SATA Write Status : Read/Write
    Connection Type : Internal S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
    Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

7. macrumors 603

justperry

BOLD???
    Can't change the format of Time Machine???

You have an external HD to backup to (TimeMachine) yes? How is this external HD formatted?
    Not your internal.

8. macrumors 603

Here is but one more example of someone who relied on Time Machine for "simple, easy backup", and -- in a moment of need -- discovers that it ain't so simple…

To the original poster:
    If you had been using CarbonCopyCloner instead of TM, you wouldn't be having these problems. Your backup would be "right there" for you to access, mountable in POFF (plain ol' finder format), and bootable as well (if it was a System backup).

But… live and learn (I did).

I suggest you download CCC and take just a few minutes to learn how to use it.

If you do, you WON'T be having the problems you're having now….

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

well it has worked for me in the past no matter what gateway device i used (cox cable isp) or modem. It dosent even mtter what mac os i used

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

no i was talking about time capsual my other hard drives are formated in hfs+

You have an external HD to backup to (TimeMachine) yes? How is this external HD formatted?
    Not your internal.[/QUOTE]

11. macrumors 603

justperry

Ah, that's different, it's a TimeCapsule, not a TimaMachine, yes that one is Mac formatted.
    You might have issues with the TimeCapsule, how old is it, is there still AppleCare or warranty on it, if so you might be able to get it fixed.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I am going to an apple store tomrrow. Also I did try using an external hard drive (USB 2.0) still same problem so now i think it's the internal hard drive.