Time Machine on Macbooks & Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by timmillwood, Aug 28, 2006.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
    With time machine wont you need an second Hard Drive to backup to, which laptops havent got.

I doubt anyone will keep and external one connected all the time!

and if it is backing up every few hrs the second HD will need to be so so so much bigger than the first
  2. Pressure macrumors 68040

May 30, 2006
    Hard disks do fail from time to time.

Time Machine will come in handy if you accidentally delete a file or change it. That way you can restore it to default.
  3. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
    it wont come in handy if you havent got a hard drive to back up time machine to.

Like on a lapto you dont have a second hard drive
  4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    I hope that it is able to sync up changes in between hooking up the external drive. It would be nice to have it save to the internal disk temporarly. You would still have protection against accidential saves or deletes.
  5. sunfast macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
    This is a good question. I would expect Apple to have thought about it though. It would be a massive oversight if not.
  6. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    i suspect it will back up locally until you connect a external harddrive, when it will copy all the stuff to it.
  7. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
    not acording to what i have heard from leopard preview.

by the looks of it in the preview you choose which drive you want to backup to, how often you want it to backup, how long you want it to keep files and which folders you want to miss out

nothing about backup to drive 1, just to external drives.

if they get time machine to work well, they should drop the trash, there will be no need for it!