Time machine question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by nippyjun, Dec 11, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

I have a new MacBook pro(with Lion). I used the time machine backup of my old MacBook pro(with snow leopard) to restore all my stuff.

It worked well.

The new MacBook pro has the same user account name as the old machine.

The question I have has to do with using time machine with the new MacBook pro.

When I set up time machine on the new machine what will happen on the time machine drive?

Will it keep the old backups from the old machine. Or since both machines have the same name will it overwrite the old backups

Thanks. .

2. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

It will leave the old backup alone and create a new one for the new machine.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Will backups for the old Mac be deleted as backups for the new Mac fill up the time machine drive?

4. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

No. Assuming you have enough room on the drive for the old backup plus the new backup, this will just leave less room for versions of the new backup. So when the drive gets close to full it will start deleting old version of the new backup sooner since their is less space available on the drive.

5. pasadian, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

macrumors newbie

pasadian

Time Machine Window

The Time Machine Window is not reverting back to it's original size in os x 10.7.2 lion. It only works in Lion's mail, any suggestions? Before on the left and After leaving TM on the right.

Attached Files:

6. macrumors newbie

pasadian

No suggestions...really!!

:cool: