Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swiftaw, Mar 16, 2007.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I know Leopard isn't out yet but I was hoping maybe someone has read this somewhere or has been using the beta. Anyways, here is the question:

In order to use Time Machine do you need an external HD that is at least as big as your internal. That is, if my internal is 500GB will I need an external at least that big, or do you only need an external that is bigger than the amount of data you have on the internal.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    Option 2 (As big as your data) seems probable. Since Time Machine backs up changes to your data, the more space you have the further back in time you will be able to go.
  3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i also don't think it needs to be bigger than your hard drive, probably needs to be just as big as (maybe slightly bigger) your data. i doubt a 500 gb hard drive filled to 10% capacity would require an additional 500 gb hard drive just to back up the 50 gb of data you've got. as the previous post mentioned, time machine not only backs up your data, it backs up your changes. but the way it's implemented makes it sound as though it won't take tons more storage to do so. i found this video informative.
  4. juanster macrumors 68020

Mar 2, 2007
    i agree and really really believe so(doesn t make sense if it was not this way):confused: , but i guess we won't know for sure until it comes out.