Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I've googled far and wide and tried many of them but am unable to get anything to work right.

I have 2 drives plugged into my router that I can access via smb, but was unable to use time machine to backup to a certain folder in those drives.

I also have a desktop running Ubuntu, with a 1TB drive that I was trying to use for a time machine backup drive. I googled how to do this and got as far as making the drive show up in the time machine drives but when I select it i get OSStatus Error 2. How can I backup to that drive? Any help would be lovely, and I can allow VNC access to the desktop, and you can talk me through steps on the mac (imessage me at cclloyd9786@gmail.com).

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I've googled far and wide and tried many of them but am unable to get anything to work right.

I have 2 drives plugged into my router that I can access via smb, but was unable to use time machine to backup to a certain folder in those drives.

I also have a desktop running Ubuntu, with a 1TB drive that I was trying to use for a time machine backup drive. I googled how to do this and got as far as making the drive show up in the time machine drives but when I select it i get OSStatus Error 2. How can I backup to that drive? Any help would be lovely, and I can allow VNC access to the desktop, and you can talk me through steps on the mac (imessage me at cclloyd9786@gmail.com).

Time Machine can’t backup to an external drive that's formatted for Microsoft Windows (NTFS or FAT format). If you select an NTFS or FAT-formatted drive, Time Machine prompts you to reformat the drive. Choose a different drive or reformat the drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Because reformatting erases any files on the drive, only do this if you no longer need the files or if you have copies of them on a different drive.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
So if I format it to ext4 will it work? Currently its ext3? But I can TRY to format it to HFS+ if thats whats required.

Edit: Even tried HFS+ but it still didn't work...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.