Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insonias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Hi.

I'm currently using Mavericks and I want to upgrade to El Capitan in the next few days. What I would like to know is if my mavericks' backups will work with the new osx (i.e., will I be able to access files on that backups?).

Also, I would like to know if I can use the same hard drive to do the backups on El Capitan. If so, what do I have to do? Once in El Capitan, set that drive as the one that time machine should use? Will it erase the old ones?

Thanks in advance!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yes, you will be able to access your TimeMachine files on El Capitan.

Yes, can use same drive for backups on El Capitan. Nothing will have changed, with regards to TM: TM will keep backing up to the same drive, no reformatting/erasing needed. Prior TM settings will be retained/same. First backup after upgrade will be a big one and take a while, since the entire OS has been updated, but otherwise, should not notice anything different.

Basically, nothing to do, just keep using as-is.

Reactions: insonias

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Keep in mind that if you want to downgrade to Mavericks it won't always work if the Time Machine drive has been used for El Capitan backups. This bug/ feature has been in Time Machine for years and there is no sign that Apple has fixed it.

If you want to play it safe I would recommend making a clone of your Macs internal drive to another external drive with software such as Disk Utility, SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.

With clone you have 100% certain option of returning to previous OS if necessary.

Reactions: insonias

insonias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Well, I just upgraded to El Capitan with no problems :D

I thought about cloning the internal ssd and I kinda did it ... CCC gave me a waring saying that the clone could not work properly as the external HDD was not formatted in the proper way. Since I had the TM backups on that drive I did not want to reformat the drive and I proceeded with the process (I think it cloned with no problems).

However, I won't use the TM for now to see if it is everything ok with the upgrade. If it is stable and doesn't give me any problem, then I'll use the TM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.