Time picks iPhone as invention of year

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 1, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors P6

Peace

Says you need to sign in.

3. Moderator emeritus

devilot

Odd, I don't get that prompt at all. :p

4. macrumors regular

I love my iPhone but I really do not consider it an invention. Call me crazy. Innovation, sure. But it does not do anything 100% new. Multitouch has been around for some time...so has just about everything else on the phone. Sure it is the best mobile browser on a phone, the best UI on a phone, etc, etc, but keyword is BEST, not first.

5. macrumors G3

bigandy

invention is far fetched, but innovation is not so sensationalist. :eek:

it's ****ing brilliant though :cool:

i love mine. *hugs iphone* :D

6. macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Next week Friday! Woo hoo.

7. macrumors 6502

8. macrumors 68040

elppa

This seems to be missed off by the majority of people when talking about iPhone. Well done to Time for researching and showing insight beyond what a lot of the tech press. Yes the iPhone is not perfect, but it is revolutionary.

9. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    Time also called it the first real walkaround handheld computer, or words to that effect.

That's incorrect on so many levels, physically, historically, operating system wise, and so forth, that it's hard to know where to start.

10. macrumors regular

montex

In fact, the iPhone is a handheld computer. How can it be considered anything else? I'd like to hear more on this claim that calling the iPhone a walkaround computer is wrong on many levels.

Perhaps the iPhone is not a "real" computer because it lacks a floppy drive. Hmmm? :p

11. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Sorry had to quit reading the article when the first reason he gives is that it is pretty. :rolleyes:
    So is my wife, but she didn't get the invention/procreation award of the year when she was born.
    He makes some good points about how its going to force everyone to improve their phones, but as said before, I wouldn't actually call it an "invention" per se.