Time to buy Apple stock?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mblazened, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Mblazened macrumors regular

Hmmm, with new ipods, music services and panther coming out soon, i think Apple's stock may be in for a boost. I've already gone ahead and made an investment. It's kind of the same situation as when ITMS first debuted, Apple's stock jumped accordingly. I made a tidy profit off of that. I suggest to anyone who likes to make money: buy some apple stock! I say it will probably move up another $6 by christmas (its at $24 now, was $13 in march, when i first bought it!)

Sure thing!
    :rolleyes:

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

hmmm perhaps but all thoes events are well known and should already be factored into the price of the stock, the music store isn't that profitable even if apple sells 100 million songs this year apple's cut is only 10% or so which is a measily 10 million

anaylists know all these events so i wouldn't buy a stock based on apple having new iPod's and panther and the music store, however if you knew apple is coming out with a killer G5 laptop that will squash microsoft and no one else knows this then it would be a great buy

and regardless apple is probably a good buy in the long run

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

actually I disagree the intorduction of the g5 desktop jumped less than new ipods or itms. People like innovation, itunes for windows might just do that and do it right ... also none of these things are guaranteed to jump stock keep that in mind especially the more they are expected.... weren't a few major news agencies talking about itunes for windows liek last week i mean it won't be a huge surprise

4. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

One article, I think it was at Yahoo! said that their stock prices were up 70% since May, so obviously, they are doing something right. I'd take a good look at the company's performance (not stock performance) over the last 3 years before I made an investment though - even with all the good news.

Alia

5. howard macrumors 68020

howard

strange i was jsut thinking about this...i remember back in march when it was around 13 or 14...nice to see that the g5s music store and panther have been raising the stock up!!

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

NO... Not a SURE thing.

Year end selling could end up driving Apple down.

Profit taking could drive Apple down.

etc.

---

Stock is near a 52 week high, buying near the high and hoping it'll go higher, isn't a sure thing.

Buying near a 52-week low, and hoping it'll go higher with a new product launch, is a safer bet. Though the product could always flop.

7. Rebob macrumors newbie

What goes down goes up

And what goes up goes down :confused:

Attached Files:

• aapl.gif
      aapl.gif
      File size:
      22.1 KB
      Views:
  8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

just for edification, the article about iTMS in the USA Today, or Rueters, can't remember which says that apple keeps about 30 cents off of every song sold, so the chance at being profitable is actually not that much of a stretch. I don't know that this will have a great effect on stock prices, but I had to put my two cents in anyway...:D

9. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

I bought stock at 13, I've seen it go up and down then up and up again. I dunno about buying right now because it did hit it's 52 wk high at close. The Q4 results will have an impact, but what kind of impact nobody knows. Well, I don't know anyway, but I'm not too savvy with stocks either.

10. m4rc macrumors 6502

You really should be careful advising people that if they want to make money they should buy apple stock.. fair enough earlier this year, but as others have said not when it has peaked! Wait until the stock reaches a low point, the trend shows that it comes back up, then sell just as they make announcements and the shares sour. Repeat, and make money.

11. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

although past performance is never really an indicator for future performance. The stock could keep going up for a while, as long as apple keeps sending out good news--better than expected 4th quarter earnings, more increases in marketshare, etc. Of course, apple could post a huge loss and the stock could tank 10% in a day.

12. doctorhook macrumors member

Apple long term: Yes.
    Short term: Be careful but optimistic.