Time to buy gold?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by miloblithe, Feb 9, 2006.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroeuro

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Having read that article and several others, I am reminded of the saying: "If all the economists in the world were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion." Looks like it might be a white-knuckle ride. But then again, it might not...

3. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I have to admit I'd never even heard of M3 money before today, so this stuff isn't exactly my field.

Still, I like worrying.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Isn't this exactly what Saddam was planing to do right before we invaded?

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There is a vaguely discernible pattern emerging, yes.

Saddam was planning, Osama was doing the planing.

6. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I think i'm going to look into buying sliver bullion pretty soon... (gold's too expensive)

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Time to Hunt for a Bunker?

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i would suspect that the US markets, to a certain extent, have already taken this into account. but unless the dollar strengthens, this doesn't bode well for the long term.

9. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

On the other hand, the weak dollar helps our exporters, and probably is essential to the long-term prospects of the US as a major exporter.

But markets are taking this stuff into account by the dollar shedding about 20% of its value over the last couple years and oil rising to whatever it's up to these days.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

We've managed to save up quite a few cubes of chicken bullion in the kitchen pantry. Does that count?

11. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Huh? I want to protect my savings from inflation.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You clearly missed my clever reference to the last attempt to corner the silver market...

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

btw milo, this is why i thought you started this thread:
    although...

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

This has been posted here before, but I'll post it again.

(emphasis mine)

15. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well damn Zim, what the hell are we supposed to put our money in? (Not that I have any). Pez dispensers?

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Selling oil in Euros means that the EU will have much more stable oil prices over the long term and that is always good. The problem arises when the EU sells more than it buys from the US. Whaddya do with all those extra dollars if you're not buying oil with them?

It's not just the EU, China has already begun to buy US companies. We could soon find ourselves so deeply indebted to foreigners that they begin to dictate American policies.

17. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Wow, that would suck... wasn't it Western Electric who just got sold to Toshiba?

18. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I find it funny that a "super power" will soon be taken over from the back door via company buyouts. ;)

I guess this is what happens when you reach the top. :D

19. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Haha..ha? I find it pretty shltty, not funny... :eek:

20. maya macrumors 68040

maya

No one is forcing a company to be taken over or sell out, that is a decision "The Board of Directors" of a said company makes. What I find funny is that in the whole process of making a profit people will try to deal under the table and when caught they will do anything to get out, thus defeating the whole purpose of being successful.

Other countries are taking over companies in the USA and the US companies are taking over Canadian companies or opening stores, do I find it funny of course. :)

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you mean, besides having a well-balanced portfolio? water rights might not be a bad idea. gold has gone down recently, might be a good time to buy. i suppose one could convert their cash reserves from USD to euros, though really that should have been done years ago.

how about returning to school and getting degrees in chinese and international business?

22. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Dammit!! You tell me now? And I wasted my MA on international affairs and Russian!

What was I thinking?

Seriously though. I'm not worried about my savings. As a recent grad, I have none to worry about. But I am seriously worried about my future and my family's future and, I hope, my children's future. It's this terrible and odd intellectual (or moral) position to take. I'm really hopeful that power in the world is becoming more diffuse and that perhaps Americans will have to stop consuming 25% of the world's resources and we can share a little more, but on the other hand I want my children, should I have any, to grow up in a world where I can provide for them and they can be safe. In a sense I'm cheering on my own inability to provide for my family in hoping that people elsewhere might emerge from some part of their crushing poverty. I feel like there are just too many people in the world and the next century will be defined by a competition for resources (power, water, capital, wood, food, and you name it) that I can scarcely begin to understand or navigate.

Clearly, I just drank too much vodka...

23. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

If you're into buying into bubbles at their height, at this point, sure. 3 years ago was the time to buy gold.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't worry, it wasn't a wasted effort. Unless of course, you've been hitting that pipe again before posting...