Time to buy my new portable!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chrispy, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Hey all. I was waiting for the PB updates to take place but now I realize that even if one does happen it won't be that huge. I have a Dell PC that I am using now and it is actually a great little machine. However, I now want to purchase my portable and I cannot imagine buying anything but an Apple. The laptops in the PC world just don't have the appeal that Apples do. I think I have become much more picky since I started using Apple portables a few years ago. Amazon.com has rebates right now so the prices break down as follows...

12" iBook -- $899.00
    12" Powerbook Combo Drive -- $1,349.00
    12" Powerbook Superdrive -- $1549.00

Since I have the Dell I guess I really don't have to hook the mac up to my 20" widescreen monitor but it would be nice to know I could do it. I guess I'm just unsure if I should go with the super 12" or the 12" iBook... I don't have a DVD-RW on the Dell so it would be nice to have it in the powerbook but I have read they are pretty slow. If you were all in my situation would you go with the iBook or the powerbook? Thanks!

P.S. If you read my other thread about my university you will know why I am using a dell ;)

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Do you need a DVD-R ? This is the question I asked myself before buying my 12" iBook. This machine is beautiful, and for the difference in VRAM/DVD-R vs. the iBook. I say get the iBook, upgrade the RAM (and HD??). And buy an external DVD-R if you really want one. You will save considerably.

3. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I would like the DVD-R but I can get an external if I need it I guess. The thing that draws me towards the 12" superdrive is the 80GB HD and superdrive ... plus the overall look and feel of the powerbook.... man I dunno.. haha!

P.S. I am thankful this is my biggest decision to make at this moment. Many others are facing much more difficult times here... especially after Katrina.

4. Euan macrumors regular

Yep, it's one of the key differences. I guess it's your own personal choice at the end of the day and will come down to features v cost.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Are you trying to avoid an iBook G4 1.33 12" with 60GB HD because of the BTO problems? If not, I would go for that!

6. scarlets knees macrumors member

I had to make a similar decision a few months ago and I ended up with the pb SD and I haven't regretted it for a minute, I haven't used the SD much yet but that's cos i'm still learning how to use editing software but when i do it'll be useful to not have to lug around an extra piece of kit. Having said that when I bought the new pb's had just come in and the difference between them and the old ibooks clinched it for me. Now the speeds are up and the ram is increased in the ibook it's a closer run thing. There were a few things I wanted in the pb that the ibook didn't have like audio in so I think i'd still go for the pb. Go for what you can afford and be honest with yourself about what you need to do on it.

7. Euan macrumors regular

Excellent advice. Make a list of what you plan to use it for, what software you want, etc and that will help you decide which model is best suited for you.

8. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Yeah ordering from Amazon.com with the rebate means no BTO for me. I save well over $100 going the Amazon route rather than buying from Apple lol.

9. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

That is a great idea. I will make up a list of uses and needs for myself. I know I WANT the powerbook but I really probably only NEED the iBook.... sigh... lol

P.S. It is so bad a actually had a dream about iBooks last night. It was great tho becuase in my dream Apple updated the iBook's keyboards and made them more solid and...get this... backlit! The keyboards kinda looked like the G3 model's keyboards (semi transparent) and each key was lit with a little LED... it was a sweet sight...... that is until I woke up to realize it was just a dream LOL.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

DAMN, then its definitely time for you to go buy. Go now!
    Alright, well the Superdrive is a nice addition. And I would have gotten the 15" PB SD, but now that I have my 12" iBook, I would get the 12" PB SD instead. The 12" is remarkable useful, its smaller screen is not restrictive at all. And the size of it makes it fun to take with you, not a hassle. Oh, and if you buy through Apple Store education site you can BTO with a discount in price (you don't have to prove you are a student, just hit agree).

11. Euan macrumors regular

That's what I generally do.

I know for one due to lack of space I go for laptops.

I know the software I want to use, etc so that means I can generally work out what sort of spec I want (i.e. how much RAM, etc)

Then I decide what ports I might need (I transfer a lot of data to external HD's so FW800 would be suited given my Ext. HDD uses FW800, etc).

And then you can always ask peoples recommendations!

12. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Hehe I love your logic ;) The sad part is, since the Apple Store online charges tax, the powerbook still ends up being cheaper going thru amazon.com with the rebate since there is no tax lol. It is actually $38 less for the SD model. Mmmmmm superdrive PB... drool

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I've been lookng at this quite a bit lately and it seems that the 14" iBook
    may in fact be the best deal in a portable if you really need a SuperDrive, but are not too worried about VRAM.

If you just need a portable for basic everyday use, then the 12" iBook Combo Drive is fine.

The 12" PowerBook is a nice machine, but $1499 (education) with SuperDrive
    is about as much as I would spend on single processor G4 technology this late in the game.

The only real advantage I see to the PowerBook right now is the DVI output
    for those long sessions where a larger display is warranted.

14. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

If the powerbooks don't see some type of update (most important for me a better GPU and 512 in a single chip for the 12") at Paris Expo then I don't know what to do. I guess I will just got with an ibook.... Apple has been making so many questionable decisions lately I'm almost afraid to buy from them at the moment lol.

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Crispy, try to hang in there a few more weeks.

If ths helps you save up just a bit more then all the better.

Unless you really NEED the features included in the PowerBooks

I really think you'll be O.K.with the 14" iBook.

I take it that you're set on a portable????

You'd get a lot more bang for your buck out of a 17" 2.0 iMac G5.