Time To Charge MBP Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by czeluff, Jan 16, 2007.

1. czeluff macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2006
    hello to all,

it takes my MBP 5 hrs to chrage the battery all the way. Is this typical? That seems like a long amount of time.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    From a depleted state, it should take about 2 hours to charge up to about 80% in fast charge mode, and then an additional two hours to top off using trickle charge mode. Read more here.
  3. czeluff thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2006

yea, it seemed like it still took about 4 hrs to do the initial 80%. should i take it in for someone to look at? or do u think that 20%/hr is good enough?

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

Oct 12, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    It always "seems" like a long time though. Were you using it while it was charging? That always will take longer as well.
  5. e12a macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    How did you discharge the battery in the first place? How old is your battery? Did you calibrate?

-Enough to force sleep?

Did you turn the computer back on even after forced sleep? I'm not sure if this is possible, but

I was reading up on li-ion batteries that if they are discharged beyond a certain threshold, they may go into something called "Deep discharge", where it may take significantly longer to charge a battery. it is also unsafe to charge a Li-Ion battery once it's beyond the threshold. Occasionally, the battery's safety mechanisms will activate rendering the battery useless (irreversible).