Time to crucify Me, blame miniMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dont Hurt Me, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Well i just did the unthinkable, i ordered a 1.42 mini. Please I take back everything i posted earlier for the past few months. :rolleyes: After thinking of cost and the fact i have a great monitor NEC1760NX I decided to sell this gaming rig with windblows Alienware AuroraAMD3500 6800GT 1 gig mem in the interest of economy. Fact is mini is a bargain. No more Norton :D Decided i played those games i wanted to play and want my Mac back. Ill just make due with video at lower settings maybe get rid of another bill :) Not even going to wait for Tiger. Shocking you might say. :D

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

*** passes out, falls loudly to floor ***

*** regains consciousness for a second, mumbles "welcome back!" ***

*** slumps back, comatose ***

3. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I forgot to add i guess the best way to unload this Alienware is through Ebay?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think that, especially if you put it in a big black Hefty, the garbage men will take it. ;)

You might want to see if anyone here wants one, but then I guess eBay is your best bet.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

6. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I configured this thing at the site and it sells new for about $2200 bucks and i have a few games like HL2,Doom3,IL2.

7. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

OH no How are you going to play doom 3 that you seem to be constantly b*tching about all of the mac computers that are bad for gaming and come with a crappy 64mb 5200 and now you go buy a Mini with 32mb radeon...;)
    I think you may well be posting in a few days time after getting the mini and complain about the gaming performance.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Hey, now, let's not drive him off before he even opens the box.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I wish I knew of good PC forums to post it on, but I don't. Craigslist, maybe?

10. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

http://www.majorgeeks.com

best pc forum

evar.

I racked up a good couple thousand posts there. Good people. Got sick of it when everything became about spyware. (what do you expect, its a windows forum)

11. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

This guy ALWAYS turns a mac debate into a gaming debate and complains about how bad macs are for gaming and how bad the graphics card and how the mini should have a better card and how the imac should have a better gfx and it annoys me everytime. From my impression he is a computer gaming lover (Doom 3 lover) and this move seems v strange.
    I mean a 6800 GT to a Radeon 32mb with much less games?!

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

An Alienware swapped for a Mac Mini... :eek:

Well, if you can have a change of heart, I'll hold out hope for some of the others that are always bashing in the gaming forum then!

13. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks for the tip, i have about 3- 4 weeks so says the rep so plenty of time to get a little more HL2 in ;) Got remind a few that this will be#3 Mac in this home but i was down to 2 for awhile ;)
    We got one of those ebay stores down the road so i guess i may start there.

When thinking about it was the gaming worth the extra $1500 bucks?? Nope and may get a xbox to help in this dept later if needed but Apple has giving me the consumer a very viable and cost effective solution to stinking windows. Windows is Ok i guess but after OSX it kind of rots. Guess ill have to renew that MacAddict subscription. :cool:

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Perhaps he realized that a mini+xBox/PS2 combo is a lot nicer and less "dangerous" than anything Windows connected to the internet - and just as fun. And less than half as expensive.

Edit: posted before I saw the possible Xbox purchase mentioned above. Good idea!

15. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hit the nail on the head and if you look at the economics of it a heck of alot cheaper but i got my Doom3,Halflife2 In and in the end its still XP.

16. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    you could also build a cheap gaming rig so you don't have to get rid of all your windows games you like to play. just don't get a $600 video card and build the machine yourself and you'll save a lot of money and still be happy playing the games you love.

17. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I was hoping for the pic of the guy crawling back with his head between his.....

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I am... pleasantly surprised to say the least. I would've expected you to wait and maybe get a single G5 Tower with a video card bump. And/or maybe build your own cheapy PC just for gaming. But this... this just shocks me. :eek:

I'm awaiting your report, because if you like it, maybe I'll get one as well. My requirements are far lower than yours, and hey, I was thinking about getting an iBook anyway. But I don't really need the portability.

Steve's RDF has struck again. :cool:

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

boy what a surprise :eek:

i hope you get a lot of money out of selling it ...

i hope my pc box keeps working for a few months for hl2... i have to add a few fans first because it's getting to hot... but luckily my mini (1.42) will arrive soon as second machine....

i jsut did it completly different to you i kept away from buying pc games which run on mac for the last years and now there is a nice collection of mac games completly unknown to me ;) so there are enough for me

20. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

21. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Dude, one word

PONG

22. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Your part to blame for leading me down this evil path. ;) just kidding.

23. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

When I got my iMac I used to fantasize about building a gaming rig, drool over some gaming laptop ad, and playing the latest and greatest PC games but once I got an XBOX I don't even look at the ads anymore. No interest whatsoever. This mini is really a paradigm shift for some. For instance, my friend is an architect and never had anything good to say about a mac mostly because it didn't have the CAD prog. he used. But when this came out he spent 20 min. on the phone with me trying to come up with a good justification for buying one (justify to his wife that is, because he just dropped $3000 on a "top of the line" Dell.). I think it shows that people WANT an alternative to Windows. They WANT to try out this whole Apple-thing. They just don't know it yet. :p

24. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

You could try selling it to Thatwendigo :D, although he seems to have gone MIA of late.

Ahhh...the DHM vs. Thatwendigo flamewars...those were the days.

25. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Please dont remind me.