Time to get organized and do something

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jan 10, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

People! This is it. Bush has thrown the gauntlet. I'm calling on everyone here who has been opposed to this BS from the start (and those who now know it was a mistake) to write your congressmen and make your voice heard. This Iraq crap has got to stop. It was lost before it began because it was the wrong thing to do in the first place. Please- I will not let my cousin or my friends go back for more tours of duty. I've had it. Enough with the Bush BS.

And before obeygiant and other hawks star talking, many of my family and friends have been deployed. I'm sick of it. And so are they. I am not some namby-pamby liberal. I'm just another person who is sick of this BS.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I wrote my congressman.

We need to remove Bush from office. That's the best thing we can do at this point.

e

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

So - where is everyone? Should I assume that most people here don't have to worry about their friends and relatives going there? Are we really that elite? I would hope not. I have to scrimp and save for my Macs. I use mine for work and it sucks to have to finance every computer I have. I can't be the only regular person here who has relatives in Iraq.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm sick of the BS as well, but writing my congressman would have absoultey no effect since he is one of the very few people that support the idea of sending more troops (McCaine).

Bush needs to be removed from office. Quick.

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Contact your representative

You can look your representative up.

What should I write to my representative? A guide would be nice ... like what bills/measures to oppose, etc? I've never written one before.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sheesh, I've got to sleep sometime! I've got a two-month old, and $12 million worth of construction projects underway at work right now. I'll get there. These two-hour deadlines just aren't gonna happen. :p

And I had to finance my Mac too, and likely will have to with the next one as well since I need a computer that can run AutoCad at something other than molasses speed.

I'll put this assignment on my calendar for this weekend. Somehow I doubt Bill Thomas will be much help, and DiFi and Barbara Boxer are most likely in our camp already. DiFi could probably use some pressure to stiffen her spine, but I'm pretty sure Boxer will vote however it takes to stop this madness.

It's McCain, and he's not your congressman, he's one of your two Senators. Jon Kyl is the other IIRC. You also have a congressional representative whom you will have to determine yourself.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My congressman is a neocon who's probably further to the right than Bush, I don't think a letter will do much good.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry mac. I was bit tipsy last night and VERY angry. I take all that back. :)

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't think the fact that your congressman is a neocon should make any difference. Make your displeasure heard. Or if you don't want to do that, write to the majority and minority leaders of each chamber.

Me, I'm lucky. My old senator, Mike DeWine, returned correspondence with a polite note that told me that he disagreed. I doubt very much that'll happen with the guy who's replacing him -- Sherrod Brown. :)

So yeah, I'll write. And to Voinovich and my district rep, Betty Sutton, as well.

And lee, I'd like to see someone take it one more step. I do wish MoveOn or someone would call for a protest in Washington. Soon. The atmosphere there is much more liable to be receptive now.

Edit: here ya go, lee. I just sent this:

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

My representative from district 2 in Arizona is Trent Franks. He has a quote from Reagan on the very top of his website. :rolleyes: I also see this quote from his comments on Bush's speech "I strongly support his commitment to adjust America’s war strategy to a changing and fiercely determined enemy."

Jon Kyl is also on board the ignorance express with Bush.

I wish Pederson would have won. It'd have been nice to have a Democratic congressman.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

Oh come now. If iGary can send a letter to Dwyer, you can do the same. Just make sure it's full of scorn. ;)

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Weird. Of all the guys, Sherrod Brown would be most sympathetic. Yet they must not be fully set up there yet. The Senate website has no e-mail link for Brown. (!)

Well, at least I know he's already against it.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

If your congressional representative is a neocon, send them a letter anyways! All they care about is getting enough votes to win another election. If their constituents are telling them to do something other than what they're doing, they have to catch on or they'll get booted out of office. It sure can't help. Just write a short email to them. I think being concise is better when it comes to writing congressmen; they have a lot to read and they'll appreciate concision.

e

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if you made an announcement, i missed it. so i'll say it now: congratulations!

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Thank you sir! I've been meaning to pull up an old thread I started when I found out it was going to be a boy, but so far that's still on my to-do list as well. Mostly because I keep forgetting the little things now. Can't imagine why. Oh, right... the lack of sleep!
    :p

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I will write as soon as I can. I encourage others to do so as well.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He won in November something like 75% to 25%, I don't think this dick is worried about votes :(

Maybe I'll send something...

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm flattered that you would mention me in your thread. Thank you. :)

I dont know why people think I support President Bush in this affair, I'm not sure I've said either way. For the record I think they should push hard on the diplomacy angle instead of escalation. However, if they're going to send more troops, which it seems like they will, to take control of the situaltion over there, they should send 50K troops instead of 20K.

20. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

True but how is removal possible when the oil companies bought up the musical chairs? :p

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Wow, that's random. I didn't have to finance my Macs and neither I nor my relatives that either have been or currently are in the Middle East don't worry about going there. Maybe you're right and that's the difference.

I wrote both my Senators to reduce Sadr City to gravel and fly AC-130 gunships over the hot spots at night and shoot anything their infrared picks up. Hope that helps. :)

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

letter sent to my relatively warhawkish democratic representative. safe to say he doesn't usually represent me in these types of things.

hoping for sarcasm, hoping for sarcasm...

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wondered where you were for awhile.

We don't have 50k to spare. We don't have 20k. We can barely maintain what we have over there now.

And according to, well... pretty much everybody, that wouldn't exactly help anyway.

You won't get it. Some people still believe we should just bomb the whole area and kill them all. Ignoring the obvious irony that that is why they hate us and want to do the same to our cities and people.

24. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Well if we did bomb them, just make sure we use the neutron bombs... we don't want to lose out on all that oil :D

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Do they still have those?