Time to invest in AC -

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Ouch. That's not gonna be fun for anyone. :(

I couldn't imagine not having AC here. It's not uncommon to have 100°+ with a heat index of even higher.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A good article Mr. Anderson.

Hopefully we can find usable alternative energy sources to prevent further damage. Science still has a long way to go to find actual cause and effect.

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
  5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

The article didn't offer an explanation of why new enland is having record cold right now before it yelled Global Warming......

How was England's winter this year? Normal, colder, or hotter than normal?

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wonderd the same thing Stelliform. They haven't convinced me that this isn't a normal flow of climatic temperatures. The Earth has millions of years of history.

Here in New England they talk about 150 years of records. It like that really ccounts. Yes, we are having an unusually cold January. Today and tomorrow we are having a respite from the bitter cold. They are talking about the mid 30's as moderate T's. These are actually normal for this time of year. We are going to be back in the freezer again staerting late Tuesday. It will be another time of record low's.

7. kevin49093 macrumors regular

I'm all about the swamp cooler. Haven't had one before my move to Denver. They rock!

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

When i was in High school, we had these "temporary" bungalows that they built in the 50's that we used for classrooms. they had these horrible swamp coolers, and every summer, they'd turn them on, and all this dust and wired fungi looking stuff would fly out of the duct.. LOL

never again! :D

9. Dros macrumors 6502

The standard explanation that I hear is that global warming does not always mean the whole planet will uniformly warm. For instance, the melting polar caps draw warm water up from the equator. If the polar caps are reduced, there is less cold water, and that current disappears. Without the warm water from the equator, Boston should have a climate like Russia! So extreme highs and lows are conssitent with the global warming model (other explanations are as well, of course).

10. neut macrumors 68000

neut

kinda weird...here in Boise it gets down to just below zero (it was 1 the other day), and it can get well above 100 (110+); though we don't have a ton of people dyeing. i guess it's just what your used to.

peace.

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I see hotter summers... and Colder Winters?

:eek:

Yeah watch out, get some Air Conditioners over there.

:eek:

Drink a lot of water, stay in the shade.

12. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

13. iGav macrumors G3

alot milder this year... storms and gales.... not much sign of snow at the mo either.

tis not fair.... I want snow... and lots of it :( :D

14. huntsman macrumors member

Indeed, get an AC and do your bit to make the planet warmer than it's already getting :D

Heck, get a reverse-cycle so you can run it all winter as well instead of pulling a jumper on.

15. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Call me suspicious but I think there might be some secret conspiracy going on:

Could last summer's european heat wave have been caused by a warning shot fired from Mr. Bush's Secret Heat Canon located on the moon as a warning for European powers voting against intervention in Irak? The timing is extrmely suspicious.

That would also explain mr. Bush's new plan to send americans back to the moon. He need more manpower to buil more heat canons. He can't target Korea from the current secret moon base.

And why do you think the chinese committed themselves to send a satelite around the moon in the near future? It's a load of balloney if you ask me. That satellite could in fact be an experimental high reflectivity space mirror designed to reflect heat beams back on occidental target.

It all make sense I tell you. And don't have me started on the Ukrainians making secret deals with the intraterrestrials.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Re: Time to invest in AC -

guess why most of frances nucleur powerstations are on the cost so if they co critical all the radiation is blown by the gulf streem up to jolly old england

oh woppie

17. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I got a similar situation here. If Washigton or New York ever get nuked, we're gonna get all the radioactive crap vented northward to home sweet home Montreal (Canada, Quebec)

Could anyone please move the american capital a little westward? yes, thankyou, that will do. ^_^

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

theres the same issue with nucleur tests they are preformed upwind of texas hence texas has the lowest average IQ

19. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

One would have expected that as a consolation prize they would at least have the highest percentage of super heroes. Hey! Tough luck! The only one they have is the Rawhide Kid and he does'nt even have super powers. ;)

20. big macrumors 65816

big

If we could design cities & buildings a little better, we would not need so many cars, trucks & SUV's. I blame the global warming on the modern world, namely the US. Sure, this COULD be a natural state of temperature fluctuations, its doubtful.

This world is based on use & throw away, have you ever visited your cities garbage dump? Its really depressing... not only that, though we are multiplying like rabbits, filling up this Earth. There basically is nothing that will stop us, until we kill the earth. we're like those microbs in a petri dish, they multiply like mad, and use up all the resources.

War in Iraq, no its not for oil </sarcasm>, everyone is running out of resources, and there will not be a substainable alternative energy source... sorry. What we need to do, is to revamp our thinking, the future is not going to be about how to get somewhere, though how to stay in one place, grow our food locally and provide for ourselves in smaller groups.

Of course this is not human nature, to be content with that, you know, "bigger is better". Sorry for the dooms day outlook, I just can not see a sunny day with our current practices in life. Though it could be good in a few aspects.

People would be forced to stop spending on credit cards, paying over seas workers to assemble our crap. We would inevitable start using things like coffee mugs instead of styofoam, and stop eating McDonalds, as transport is too expensive. Local Farmer's hire farm help, shoe makers come back to local areas, it will be an all new economy, locally based. That would be worth while, putting more people to work locally, creating a real town & downtown center...

gasp, someone may have to "walk" to their store! Of course, this would still be a treck, across our 6-8 lane hiways, thogh expect local neighborhood stores to make a come back too...

thoughts to consider

21. neut macrumors 68000

neut

22. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

you mean like a global economic meltdown, and then a currency adjustment balanced to real cost of living across the entire globe, and have all corporations become non-profit... :)

23. big macrumors 65816

big

this guy is a good read, and scary than I am about opinions on the future world markets et al....http://kunstler.com/

24. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Or as the popluation on Earth becomes unbearable so does the demand for more space. Then those wacky ideas like undersea cities and Lunar colonies become reasonable. Instead of reverting to a more simple time I see humanity using technology to satisfy our desires. I doubt that humanity will allow the Earth to become a burnt out hulk, but I can see the overpopulation being solved by moving people off of this planet.

Then after we have filled this solar system I can see the development of interstellar drives...

The old adage necessity is the motherhood of invention. At the moment there isn't a need for these things, but if there was a need humanity would develop the technology to survive.