Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I just installed the screen saver on my 700mhz G3 iMac, it may take a few days to do a WU, but hopefully it will help a bit. Quick question does Folding remain running when the screen goes blank? The computer remains on so I assume the screen saver is still running even though the monitor is off.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Macmaniac said:
I just installed the screen saver on my 700mhz G3 iMac, it may take a few days to do a WU, but hopefully it will help a bit. Quick question does Folding remain running when the screen goes blank? The computer remains on so I assume the screen saver is still running even though the monitor is off.

If the system sleeps, basically, nothing runs. If it's only the monitor that is sleeping, it will run.

The screen saver is probably the worst version to run, but it's up to you. It really doesn't contribute a whole lot. You'll find that you need to run a 700 MHz G3 24/7 to see a decent accumulation of points.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Vlade said:
I know, its been hard to fend you off, we have been neck and neck for a while now. I have a 160 pointer coming in tomorrow though, in addition to my current production, so watch out!

Well, in that case, I will add another 2 G5's!! :D

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
That's the spirit guys! Keep on folding and keep on adding machines!

Macmaniac, welcome on board! But as said the screensaver is really slow. Get the foldingscript from mc68k and install that. you don't have to do anything in the terminal, but you can give commands in the terminal to look how far your WU is. You can also look how far your WU is in the FAHlog (just a textfile). So you really don't have to do anything in the terminal if you don't want to!

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Falleron said:
Well, in that case, I will add another 2 G5's!! :D

Good! As soon as the next revision comes out (I thought it would have been 2 months ago) I will have another DP machine, and when they hit 3GHZ that will be 2 more DP machines... unfortunately that could be a while away.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Vlade said:
Good! As soon as the next revision comes out (I thought it would have been 2 months ago) I will have another DP machine, and when they hit 3GHZ that will be 2 more DP machines... unfortunately that could be a while away.
I am awaiting the 3Ghz G5's to replace my dual 1ghz g4. Plus, I still have another inactive 1ghz G4 processor at my disposal that may go into use if the need arises!! :D

I will look forward to watching your progess compared to myself!

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I got quite a few computers. They were all on rc-5 but I've moved the first (2.8GHz P4) over to folding. A few 1GHz+ G4's are hanging around waiting to come. But that's going to wait for a script or 2 from someone that'll boost my interest in folding :D So by the end of next month I'll prolly get around to it :D Patience my dear friends.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Rower_CPU said:
That question has been answered many times already...

I took his Dells and he got my eMacs for RC5.

Yeah okay... it wasn't a question.

I knew that he got the macs and that he has moved them to RC5... it was more of my disapointment in his choice...

He was kicking total ass... but now... :(

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Rower_CPU said:
That question has been answered many times already...

I took his Dells and he got my eMacs for RC5.

What is RC5 Rower? I'm among those being patient. I'm sure that everyone is doing there best. We just need more members. The item that we can't talk about, I think will be a huge boot in recruiting.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
wdlove said:
What is RC5 Rower? I'm among those being patient. I'm sure that everyone is doing there best. We just need more members. The item that we can't talk about, I think will be a huge boot in recruiting.

Well, more members... Have you seen how many are inactive? We have got loads of members don't doing anything. Just produced one WU (or haven't even finished it) and then quit folding. If they just produced one WU per month each, then we would be back in the orange :D We don't need more members, we need new members that stick to folding!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Dreadnought said:
Well, more members... Have you seen how many are inactive? We have got loads of members don't doing anything. Just produced one WU (or haven't even finished it) and then quit folding. If they just produced one WU per month each, then we would be back in the orange :D We don't need more members, we need new members that stick to folding!

Sadly apathy, tends to run in human nature. If we have more than a third that are active then we are doing well. We just need to support and encourage the folding members that we have. I think that is the reason for this special section on "Distributed Computing." ;)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
MrMacman said:
I knew that he got the macs and that he has moved them to RC5... it was more of my disapointment in his choice...

He was kicking total ass... but now... :(
well the reason is two fold...i had such a great lead over everyone on the team that i decided another mac team should get my resources. even the top producers now have like 1/2 a year or more to catch up to me cranking 24/7

also, i wanted to try a new project and see how far in the ranks i could move up...cause i peaked at like 23 overall for folding and there wasn't much room for upward movement.

at rc5 a mac is worth so much more than a PC. all my PCs minus the dell lab are still on F@H. im still moving up in the ranks too on rc5 thanks to the incredible ability to cruch units while not connected to the net...something folding can't ever hope to achieve easily at this point

i still check the folding stats like 10 times a day or more, and come out with scripts occasionally. in the future though i think the macs will come back to folding...since other countries cheat big time in RC5. whatver they are doing to cheat is obvious and detracts heavily from me wanting to give more than i currently do.

if you want, you can also look at mine and rower's stats overall as a sort of superuser sum, since well over 95% of our total has come from the same group of machines

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Nice to hear from you mc68k.

I guess I wasn't thinking of the user stats as much as you added a massive amount of production to the team itself.

Yeah rc5 is a great 'equal opportunity' project... I just don't really know that cracking passwords (encryption) was or is the best way to spend my CPU...

Please come back, anytime you post I learn much about the projects.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
MrMacman said:
Nice to hear from you mc68k.

Yeah rc5 is a great 'equal opportunity' project... I just don't really know that cracking passwords (encryption) was or is the best way to spend my CPU...

Please come back, anytime you post I learn much about the projects.
thank you :)

yeah rc5 is more focused on the production and goal than the means. and it has a very finite goal that can be measured.

ha thanks. ive got so little time this semester for fun...i really love distributed computing and this teams spirit. i dont like the competition too much in this or anything else, cause i think it brings out certain innate things in ppl best left innate.

i must admist though, no one would really give so much of their time and thought into this project if it weren't for turning research into competition,. i really got to hand it to the researchers for that bit of cleverness.

Mustang Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2003
i dont like the competition too much in this or anything else, cause i think it brings out certain innate things in ppl best left innate.

This is so true. But most of it depends on the outlook and inner strength of the individual. Take for instance this,

When did this become the new Team Mac Os X board?

What the hell team members, can you frikken post or what?

I'm not sure what you are trying to do... recruit our team members or put out the notion that Folding is for Mac... even though we have our own team...

Uhh...

Something best left innate. Can't we all just get along and realize that we are all on the same side? Progress must progress. Keep up the fold!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.