Time Travel

Discussion in 'Community' started by Shrek, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

NOTE: This thread was inspired by this thread. ;)

http://science.howstuffworks.com/time-travel.htm

Does anyone here think that time travel will ever be possible? If so, what might it entail? What can we expect traveling into the unknown future? If we travel to the future, can we get back to the present? Has the future even been written yet? Can we change the past? If so, what consequences might that entail? Will humans be able to survive a trip through time? These and other questions may boggle your brain! :eek: But hey, they're really good for discussion! :D

2. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I just read that article on that site. Very interesting.

I'm not sure if time travel is possible, but it seems like there are some problems associated with it, such as the parallel universes, which from what I understand, means that if you travel in time, you may not be able to get back to your original universe that you originally came from.

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well, I don't think you wouldnt be able to change the past, the past is just that, it has already happened. Say for instance if you went back and accidently kept your great grandfather from meeting your great grandmother, that would negate your existance, but if you never existed you would not have been able to go into the past in the first place. It might be beyond me, but I do not think time travel is possible, but travel to other parallel worlds might be, if parallel worlds exist that is.

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Cause and Effect would be hosed. Well, actually everything would be hosed. Wasting time dreaming about time travel is a waste of time.
    Hey, I met my younger self the other day. Tomorrow I'm going back to give G. H. W. Bush a vasectomy. Silliness. TT at a sub-atomic level with nano-meter wormholes? Scientific American (for one) says "Perhaps".

5. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

This all reminds me of the movie, "Back to the Future". I wonder why. ;) :D

6. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Imagine how much different the world would be if could go back and make September 11 never happen. Well, of course we couldn't do that, but we could at least make the events of September 11 never happen. LoL. :D

7. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

If what this article says is how time travel works, and extraterrestrials do exist and come from galaxies far far away to visit us, then they probably travel at very fast speeds (faster-than-light) through both time and space to come and see us! :D Ever think about that? Maybe that's how we'll explore the universe someday. :rolleyes:

8. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That would be great if we could go back to the early hours of Sept. 11 and arrest the hijakers before they got on the airplanes.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As great as that would be, I think there are far more important events in recent history that would deserve a *slightly* higher priority on the list; like maybe stopping a couple of world wars which cost MILLIONS of lives.

10. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

yes, that's true edesignuk, except stopping the events of Sept. 11 should also be high on a priority list, if there was time travel.

11. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

The only problem is if all those millions of lives were saved that means things might be very different today because those people who are now living but were supposed to be dead would change the course of history. Hmmm. :rolleyes: You might just stop World War II and September 11 altogether by stopping World War I. That is if they are somehow linked in the "pages" of time. Well, we know WWI and WWII are linked. It's a cause and effect thing. ;)

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

good subject guys.

"Flight into the Future
    In 1935, Air Marshal Sir Victor Goddard of the British Royal Air Force had a harrowing experience in his Hawker Hart biplane. Goddard was a Wing Commander at the time and while on a flight from Edinburgh, Scotland to his home base in Andover, England, he decided to fly over an abandoned airfield at Drem, not far from Edinburgh. The useless airfield was overgrown with foliage, the hangers were falling apart and cows grazed where planes were once parked. Goddard then continued his flight to Andover, but encountered a bizarre storm. In the high winds of the storm's strange brown-yellow clouds, he lost control of his plane, which began to spiral toward the ground. Narrowly averting a crash, Goddard found that his plane was heading back toward Drem. As he approached the old airfield, the storm suddenly vanished and Goddard's plane was now flying in brilliant sunshine. This time, as he flew over the Drem airfield, it looked completely different. The hangers looked like new. There were four airplanes on the ground: three were familiar biplanes, but painted in an unfamiliar yellow; the fourth was a monoplane, which the RAF had none of in 1935. The mechanics were dressed in blue overalls, which Goddard thought odd since all RAF mechanics dressed in brown overalls. Strange, too, that none of the mechanics seemed to notice him fly over. Leaving the area, he again encountered the storm, but managed to make his way back to Andover. It wasn't until 1939 that that the RAF began to paint their planes yellow, enlisted a monoplane of the type that Goddard saw, and the mechanics uniforms were switched to blue. Had Goddard somehow flown four years into the future, then returned to his own time?"

(See Fate magazine's "The Air Marshal and the Unexplained" for more details on this story.)

"Caught in a Temporal Vortex
    Dr. Raul Rios Centeno, a medical doctor and an investigator of the paranormal, recounted to author Scott Corrales a story told to him by one of his patients, a 30-year-old woman, who came to him with a serious case of hemiplegia - the total paralysis of one side of her body. "I was at a campground in the vicinity of Markahuasi," she told him. Markahuasi is the famous stone forest located about 35 miles east of Lima, Peru. "I went out exploring late at night with some friends. Oddly enough, we heard the strains of music and noticed a small torch-lit stone cabin. I was able to see people dancing inside, but upon getting closer I felt a sudden sensation of cold which I paid little attention to, and I stuck my head through an open door. It was then that I saw the occupants were clad in 17th century fashion. I tried to enter the room, but one of my girlfriends pulled me out." It was at that moment that half of the woman's body became paralyzed. Was it because the woman's friend pulled her out of the stone cabin when she was half entered into it? Was half her body caught in some temporal vortex or dimensional doorway? Dr. Centeno reported that "an EEG was able to show that the left hemisphere of the brain did not show signs of normal functioning, as well as an abnormal amount of electric waves."

(See "Dimensions Beyond Our Own" for more details on this story.)

A good link on the subject.

13. 3777 macrumors 6502

Re: Time Travel

Time travel will never be possible because if it were then people would have already gone back in time and we would have encountered them by now.:eek:

14. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Re: Re: Time Travel

Oh really, well what if the people that come back have technology to make themselves invisible, that the only thing they do is observe the past and nothing more; no interaction whatsoever. Hmmm. :rolleyes:

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I didn't say it shouldn't be, I just said that there are (sadly) bigger events/tragedies in history that would come higher on the list. But don't get me wrong, stopping 9/11 would be right up there to :(

16. vniow macrumors G4

Of course this brings up all kinds of morality questions as well, suppose we were able to go back in time and prevent the 9-11 attacks, should we?

Would it be our place to interrupt the natural course of things or is interrupting the natural course of things the way things were supposed to be?

I watch too much Star Trek.[​IMG]

17. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Yes, I understand what you are saying, and I also think that 9/11 should also be up there too.

18. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I'm not really sure, that is an interesting question.

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

lol, yeah, too much star trek! :D But the point is valid, what's happened has happened, what right do we have to go back and try to change things? We might only end up making them worse :(

...but then again...it's still be cool to go back in time...or forward for that matter...bring on the flux-capacitor! :D ;)

20. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

"The flux-capacitor is what makes time travel possible" - Dr. Emmit Brown, in Back to the Future

:D

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hehehe, glad you knew what I was referring too, I would hope everyone does, they're great films! I bought the trilogy on DVD :D ;)

22. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

what do you think it is that travels? our mind,
    soul whole body? what part makes this
    transition into a new time space? do we leave
    the NOW when we travel to the future? if so,
    then why? if the past future and the present
    is all happening at once then we would be in
    all three at the same time. i dont know. this
    subject is too slippery.

23. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Good point. And you guys must understand that if you go back and change the past, say for example if some idiot goes back and stops Columbus from discovering America, then that would affect the entire spacetime continuum from that point on. That could have dire consequences. If we ever do go back in time, we must make ourselves invisible and be very careful not to interact with anything. We must only observe and study. ;)

24. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

There is a way to experience time travel. Drink a whole bottle of Wild Turkey whiskey and then spin around a hundred times.