Time Warner customers: ready to lose TV Land, Spike & Comedy Central?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 31, 2008.

1. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not to mention Nick, MTV, VH1 and more?

I don't myself like Time Warner, but in this case I have to side with them. Enough of rate increases, whether they're "carriage" charges or cable bills or whatever.

I don't even buy the "undervalued" argument. The sports channels are over-valued, which is why there's the disparity. They cost a lot for cable companies to carry.

Sorry, Viacom, I can't cry any crocodile tears for you. And quit urging me to call my cable operator. :mad:

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Disney will be next on block due to their yearly revenue increase by raising cable rates.

This is the cause of basic cable going up every year.

Be nice to see cable companies dumping some of these companies off basic cable and lowering rates. Doubt we'd get the benefit of the less expensive plans though.

Put these companies into their own pay package and see how much people really want them -- doubt they'd be making as much in their own Viacom channel package.

Hmmm ... $19.95 basic cable without the expensive channels with the channels that want the widest audience or $49.95 for premium basic cable -- tough choice.

3. macrumors 601

Tilpots

The content providers need to force the a la carte pricing scheme. Let the customer set the value, not the middle man. I'm a TWC subscriber and I hope more networks jump ship. It'll just entice me more to ditch cable once and for all. Now I need Apple to make me some decent media center hardware...:eek:

4. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I'd probably go for the a la carte model too if it were offered. Doing a quick rundown of my lineup (Comcast), I'd say I (semi-)regularly watch maybe 1/3 of what they offer. They can gladly block my access to HGTV and Lifetime and crap like that in exchange for $10 back on my bill.

5. macrumors 601

jaw04005

I wish the FCC would require cable companies to offer "lifeline" cable. All I really want is my locals, and OTA does not pick up well in my new home. I would need two separate antennas pointing in different directions. :(

6. macrumors 65816

FX120

Comcast does, for $13 a month you get the most basic package of just your locals + cable access, and in my area Discovery and WGN.

Of course I don't know if this will last after they discontinue their analog side of their service, and cut all cable access networks off the lower channels and bump them up into the 900 series.

7. macrumors G5

U-verse FTW!

8. macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Man, I hope they get this worked out. Stoppages like that do no one any good in the long term. Just ask Major League Baseball.;)

9. macrumors 68020

Disney--EXTREMELY unlikely. The reason is simple: the Disney-owned channels are among the most desirable for cable customers, especially this monster called ESPN. And most importantly, Disney does not have potential conflicts of interest by ownership in any cable systems.

10. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I wish you could customize your subscriptions and get only the channels you want.

11. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No but the Disney-Time Warner spat does threaten to darken their channels all the time.

What is odd is the spat is really digging in their heels with a group of channels which have a license fee 65% lower than Disney, TNT, etc. so the next round with Disney could get very ugly again -- aka, no ABC during sweeps again.

12. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

It's over, they came to terms.
    DAMMIT, More Zach and Cody mindless drivel. I have to talk to my daughter.

13. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, I saw this morning that they were still there.

Wonder what the terms were...and what this is going to mean to my cable bill.

14. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

problem with this is if Vicom wins you will see everyone else have to eat the increase as well.

Uverse if you have not noticed has removed some of there best features for free as well.

Most notibly no more 3 TV boxes with out having to pay any extra. Now it is $7 per box after the first one which sucks.

15. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I soooo hate TW tv. This among other things got me looking at Direct TV.

16. macrumors 68040

bruinsrme

i beleive you guys will be loosing some of the music channels like VH1 classrock.

those are some great channels.

I cant remember what charter is dumping but I am so ready for directv.
    Nw if I could only convince my sweetie.

17. macrumors G5

Nope, I haven't noticed. I don't pay a dime for extra U-verse boxes ;) AT&T employee discount FTW! :D

18. macrumors 68020

benflick

This is ridiculus, good thing I have Directv. Time Warner's rates have continuously gone up. Bastards.

19. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Personally this really is part of the reason why I don't have cable or even watch TV really. If media giants like Viacom want to raise these fees, then why the hell do they keep on turning out garbage?

I always felt rather offended seeing commercials on cable. I thought part of the thing was that you paid partially for fewer commercials. It's just like getting commercials at the beginning of movies.

I can't say that I would side with Time Warner on it either. If you have a contract with them I would like to see them cancel accounts without charging, even though it would have been their responsibility to do so.

20. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Imagine how much a cable bill would be without commercials. Thousands of dollars, at this rate...

Yeah, this is truly a case where it's hard to root for either side.

21. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Last I checked, our Time Warner Cable was still showing Comedy Channel, et. al., which suggests that this is a bluff. But you have to love Viacom's approach -- telling people to beg Time Warner to raise their monthly charges. Brilliant. They should all go to hell as soon as possible.

22. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

They came to a last minute agreement but have you looked at your new monthly rates starting January 1 insert w. your new bill?

23. macrumors 68000

uiop.

Oh geez...I can't even imagine. :eek:

24. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

That'd be great, but of course they won't do that. There would be too many people who would only get one or two channels. For instance, the only channel anyone ever watches at my place is Comedy Central, so that'd be the only one we have.

25. macrumors Core

MacNut

How much does HBO charge a month? They seem to be doing alright.