timely releases?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Apr 14, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

does apple get their products out in human time or dog time?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: timely releases?

:p ha ha ha!!!

good question jef...I think Apple is in a parallel world where it's a short time...where here it's much much longer....

they always seem to be on a different page than everyone else don't they??

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i heard it summed up in one sentence

best engineers in silicon valley, worst management

when i first heard that comment from zdnet, i was offended but after i cooled off, i can't seem to agree more

my friend at ms says it's just the opposite with his company...treated well but he says he is grossly underpaid compared to compatriots elsewhere and ms silicon valley campus people call themselves microserfs:D

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I think that Jobs has a reality distortion device that he uses to make time slow down as we approach the expo's. He also might use that to speed up the developements to get the items ready, but then has to wait for real time to catch up. If he wanted, I'm sure he could loan the device to either moto or IBM to get them to speed up production (to reduce cost) or development of the new processors. Properly implimented, we could have the G6 out by now, instead of waiting for the G5 with baited breathe.

It also could be that he puts teams heavily into certain projects that he wants finished before something else is either started or worked on. Then when enough is ready, the announcements come out. Two major updates/announcements per year is not too bad, although I wouldn't mind seeing more.

As for microscrew, consider this, they plan on one release/update every 18 months. Items such as office and windblows fall into that category too. They seems to work a little faster on ie, at least on the peecee side, but not on the Mac side (those bastards).

btw, this looks like my 1k post... finally broke that barrier, now to set my sights on the 2k mark. I know that at least four of the regulars here will get there before me (like eyelikeart). Maybe we should start a 1k post club :D...

Rock on, and I CAN'T wait to get my TiBook back from Apple (hope to see it by Wednesday).

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

yeah apple can suprise you
    you have no idea when they are gonna release stuff
    but when they do its usually cool software or hardware

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Congrats AlphaTech! :)

If it takes time for Apple to make innovative products that are light years ahead of the PC world...then so be it.
    Besides it gives me more time to save up for "the next big thing". :D

7. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

yes, welcome to the 1,000 club...you now get a green jacket;)

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Thanks jef and rower... Is the jacket leather or some cheap synthetic material??? ;)

I also would rather wait a little while longer to have a solid product delivered. I would also rather see a fully re-designed motherboard to hold the G5 chip then a stop gap measure just to get it out to the public.

I also wouldn't mind seeing faster upgrades in the future. Upgrades for systems that you buy one year, but then better and faster processors come out. How many people would purchase a 800MHz plus upgrade for a G4 tower (or a GHz upgrade for a G3 blue)??? Granted it would take a little away from Apple's sales, but the customers would be happier, and probably purchase additional Mac's as their budgets allow.

Personally, I will be waiting until MWNY before I purchase my next Mac. Either another TiBook or tower, depends on what gets released, as well as what I get back from Apple on my TiBook. It is being repaired for the third time, and is waiting for a logic board to arrive. They ran out between the first repair and this one (a span of a few weeks). I am hoping that they don't get any in before Tuesday and that Apple does something very kind and gives me an upgrade :D... I can only hope and wait and see.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Good luck with the upgrade.
    From what we've been hearing about the supply drying up in the reseller channels, something might be on it's way soon enough for you to get a sneak peek...
    GeForce 4 M?
    Superdrive??
    Bluetooth???

Be sure to let us know! ;)

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ahhh!

I have the PERFECT idea for the new TiBooks.

New case/design
    Speed bumps, and all the normal upgrades
    Now the good part...
    Built in BlueTooth!

Does that sounds cool?

11. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I hear it's a high quality, expensive jacket. Down side is, you have to buy it yourself. ;)

I disagree that Apple is unpredictable when it comes to product releases. Anyone here can tell you that there will soon be an updated TiBook, that 10.2 isn't far away, etc. You get my drift.

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: greenjackets

congrats Alpha!!!

sorry I wasn't here for the magical moment...

now that u have reached 1000 posts...what are u gonna do next?! ;)

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

14. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

15. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Sounds a bit drastic... ;) Congrats anyway.

16. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Start with EuroDisney...that place is just wrong! :rolleyes:

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

LMAO!!!... of course... surprised that nobody has done it yet. Of course, I would have to "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be certain." :D

Can you name the movie that line came from??? Just curious to see who else remembers that one. :D

18. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Speaking of updates... everybody's talking about the G5, but when is Intel going to release their P5?

Anyone here think that Apple might be quietly working to make the G5 as good as possible (knowing that as time goes on, the chip will only get stronger) so that when the P5 is released, Apple will have a "5" type chip to compete with (maybe even surpass) the rival chip's MHz?

We know that the marketing is all about appearances. Maybe Apple is riding out the G4 because (beyond us) it isn't perceived as "old," even though we were processing on G4s when Intel had just launched it's P3. The P4 is just over a year old.

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Who cares??? Whenever it does get released, I would be money that intel recalls the first batch inside of a month to fix defects. Just as they did on the pee3 and 4.

I also would bet money that the G5 will blow intel out of the water, at least in processes that we care about. Imagine Photoshop on a dual 2GHz G5..... *droooool*

20. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I've got my fingers crossed...I'm sick of all the PC people out there saying: "Yeah, but it's only faster with that one filter on Photoshop..."

I want a definitive performance delta between Wintel boxes and Macs...I want to watch PC users squirm as I boot up in 5 seconds and run a complex filter on a 200 MB image before their machines has even booted up...I want the sheer power of my Mac to be intimidating to even me...I want my Mac to taunt me because I have become the slowest factor in the computing experience...OK, maybe not that last one, but it would be funny to do to PC weenies! :D