TimeMachine Backup on a PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetmonster, Dec 11, 2012.

1. gadgetmonster
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Hi folks, i'm trying to restore my itunes folders from a timemachine backup on a win7 pc. is this possible? I tried installing the airport utility which allowed me to access the timemachine server. I see my old macbook air backup, but there's nothing in the folders to copy/paste over using a proggie like microspit synctoy. I just wanted to put my itunes library on my work pc.

2. simsaladimbamba
    Expand Collapse

simsaladimbamba

Do you have a Time Capsule (the white quadratic box with Ethernet ports) or an external HDD connected to an AirPort Extreme / Express?

How do you connect to your Time Machine from your Windows computer, if PC is short for "Windows computer"?

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

3. gadgetmonster
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

yes, its a timecapsule, and yes, its a windows 7 PC.

4. simsaladimbamba
    Expand Collapse

simsaladimbamba

And you connect to it via Ethernet or Wireless LAN to it?

Which AirPort Utility version do you have?

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1391

And can you or can you not browse your backups via Windows Explorer? You only mentioned "microspit synctoy", whatever that is.

5. gadgetmonster
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

I could do either pretty easily. It was kind of a boneheaded post; i totally forgot that its a completely different OS and language and can't be just a simple cut/paste. Its not critical that I get it copied to the PC, just wanted to out of convienance.