TimeMachine Fails

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mitch1990, Apr 20, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

This is the second time that i'm trying to make a backup with my new SAS disk:
    http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/280575/iomega-storcenter-ix2-200-cloud-edition-6tb/overzicht/

Now i;m getting this message for the secondtime:

[​IMG]

Translation:
    "Time Machine is not able to finish the reserve copy on 'ix2'

A error has be acured while copying files. This is probably a temporary problem. If the problem keeps, use the disk utilities to repair the reservercopydisk."

Now I have spent round 12 hours to backup a size of 266GB, I hope somebody can help me out!

Thxn.

2. macrumors 603

justperry

Use Carbon Copy Cloner, that one seems to have a lot less problems than TimeMachine, you can also have multiple schedules with CCC, for instance your Home folder hourly and the whole disk once a week or eve
    every day.
    CCC also makes bootable backups so if there is a problem you are up in minutes, a restart and boot from backup is all it takes.

CCC is free up until 3.4.7

3. benwiggy, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

macrumors 68020

Time Machine normally works fine, and has done for many years, so this should be fixable.

Have you repaired the disk, as the error message suggested?
    It's usually best to repartition ("format") a brand new drive as HFS+ journalled, when you first get it, even if it comes like that from the factory.

If that doesn't work, try taking the disk back to the shop and testing the problem with a replacement.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be the last option m8, lets start at the begin =)

I'm not sure what the repair will do, but as I sad its a NAS disk and the NAS receives also backup from websites. So I'm not sure if I want to run that "disk repair"..

some advice?

5. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Can you make incremental backups with CCC like with TM?

6. macrumors 68020

Ah. Yes, you woudln't want to repartition or Repair an NAS using Disk Utility.

In that case, you have to create an HFS+ Disk image on your NAS and point TM at that.

A quick Google for "Time Machine on a network drive" will give detailed instructions.

7. macrumors 68040

tech4all

Looks like or at least similarly. Quote from Scheduled Tasks:

8. macrumors 603

justperry

Yes/No, Yes you can have incremental backups but unlike TimeMachine it moves the changed file to a different folder at root level and sync the newer one into it's place.
    Also see the below poster comment