Time's rather harsh PS3 article.

Discussion in 'Games' started by gloss, Nov 17, 2006.

1. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

This is exactly the sort of press Sony doesn't need.

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Well, I agree with the article for the moment; obviously he's trying to equally compare a 1 yr old system with a full head of steam vs a new system that just came out with room to grow into maturity.

The biggest killer of the Ps3 I see is the price tag; no matter what exclusives they have, all Microsoft has to do is say "our games look as good (if not better, as is the case I've seen several times recently with people comparing R:FoM to GoW on the 360) and our system is $100-$200 cheaper" and they'll get a lot of attention.

I would've never waited outside for a Ps3 even if I had the money right now, but time will tell. I think it's pretty retarded for anyone to write off the Ps3 on the first day of its 'life', but then again that's just my opinion. Ps2 wasn't that great at launch compared to the Dreamcast at the time, but eventually the Ps2 picked up steam and ended up in 1st. No console has ever launched and been an overnight success story; it takes time. (no pun intended) :)

3. barkins macrumors regular

barkins

That article puts into words exactly what I was thinking.

A game console is as good as its games. And unfortunately PS3 has no games the majority of people are all that interested in, yet. Perhaps in the future, like in a year or two there will be something out as great as Gears of War, but that's no guarantee.

4. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

The initial line up of games is not all that spectacular, and even the really good games that come out on the release date don't necessarily float my boat. It's not that surprising. As everyone point out it take a bit of time for developers to figure out how to maximize code, etc. .

I know there will be some awesome games coming out on the PS3, but it needs to play out a bit

5. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

He is comparing apples to oranges when it comes to the price. He says $400 max for the xbox but the xbox costs an extra $250 (I think) for the HD DVD player.

6. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

$150.

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

8. Souljas macrumors regular

the FT in the UK also had a similar article about the PS3...

9. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Obviously this guy is quite ignorant, the cell processor is an amazing innovation and it a few years it could certianly be the next biggest thing in personal computing, and every computer chip ever has had a name, and the name "Cell Processor" is a very generic name for that type of processer (much unlike the Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo, or something like that), the cell processor isn't reall the name of that specific processor.

And actually, lots of people care about Blu-Ray, in fact many large companies (Sony included, as well as an assortment of production companies etc) are counting on Blu-Ray to beat HD DVD and be the next biggest thing. Frankly, with Microsoft (the most powerful company in personal computing) behind HD DVD, I think it will beat the pants off of Blu-Ray (regardless of blu-rays higher storage capacity) in the long run.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

He probably refers to the general public, most of which actually couldn't give a monkey's about it

11. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

Sony was stupid enough to put all their eggs in one basket with the PS3. They hoarded components for Blu-Ray and gave HD-DVD a healthy head start in the market at a far more affordable price point. The fact that you can still get an Xbox 360 + HDDVD for less than a PS3 means that their value proposition is seriously compromised. Besides the fact that they have HDMI on board.

And I think the guy was pointing out that Microsoft doesn't advertise the 360 with ZOMG XENON TRI-CORE PROCESSOR like Sony does with the Cell. In the next year on market, the Cell will be run-of-the-mill, as much as Sony likes to trumpet it now. They're pulling things out of their collective arse to hype this machine up.

12. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Whereas the PS2 had a clear technological advantage over the Dreamcast that was obvious to lots of people just by looking at it, I can't see a meaningful technological difference between the XBox 360 and the PS3 just by looking at the games. Blu-ray and Cell tech means nothing to me until I see a game that takes my breath away.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no the hd dvd is a pure option, the games don't require it. i dont see your point

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Try $200. $199.99, specifically.

15. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

This bit had my laughing :p

Its a well written article, and he brings up a lot of valid points, but I kind have to ask what's the point? Its not as if the PS3 will be in the hands of anyone but hardcore gamers anytime soon, and the hardcore gamers don't really need convincing.

16. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I definitely don't think the Nintendo Wii is trying to compensate for anything... :D

17. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

A bunch of dumbed down CPU's? I hope to god it doesn't get popular. I like my branch prediction and fully functional CPU thank you. The future will be in multiple functional CPU's (Core Duo, Core Quadro, Core Octo?). Cell is good for lots of maths processing (for big massive supercomputers), but not good for all round work like how normal people use a computer.

18. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

I stand corrected.

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

In some areas, in other areas it was inferior to DC. It wasn't better in every regard. Same with 360/PS3 actually.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Indeed, I gave that a read this morning but in the end its still unknown.

Bless

22. topp macrumors newbie

you have a valid point for the next few minutes anyway. the hd dvd is purely option and anyone that has any experience with microsoft products knows that you don't have to have the newest $200 update for the thing to work with the next thing that they come up with to sell you. :rolleyes: lets wait and see what format halo 3 comes out on and then tell me if the drive is an option. and since we are on a rumor site, rumor has it that the processing power needed to run the hd dvd drive multifunctions your 360 as a toaster.

as for the ps3, what does a blu ray player go for? not less than 999.99 on bestbuy.com. starting to sound like a good deal to me.

honestly I don't really care about either machine, I just wanted to blow off some steam after a hard last couple days of trying to get a ps3 to sell to some rich sucker on ebay for $6000.

and to dukebound85 this isn't really directed at you personally but ignorance in general.

good luck at school

23. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Sorry if it was unclear. What I'm trying to say is that he is comparing an xbox to a ps3 price without adding in the $200 price of the HD DVD player that the xbox is lacking and the ps3 has.

It's like comparing a fully loaded car to a base model car. One of the consoles (PS3) has more bells and whistles and newer technology.

That's all I was saying.

24. pionata macrumors 6502

They are right actually, beside R:FOM, the launch has Horrible game choice, its way too expensive for a console and also the availability of the console is a joke. They had half a thousand people at best buy here that came when the store opened, and only 20 console to sell... AND the damn sale people had bought half of them to resell on ebay.

I still want one... hurg

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That right there is a BIG part of the problem... I would bet that 10-20% of the US allocation of PS3s at launch were taken by store managers (you just know that every GameStop and EBGames manager did this, and I bet a lot of Wal-Mart [spit] and Best Buy and Circuit City managers did, too), either for their own use or to resell on eBay or through Craigslist. I'm pretty sure the same thing happened, although perhaps not to such an extent, when the Xbox 360 was released.