Timewarp Feature in FCS/Motion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superspiffy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I'm a Premiere and After Effects user thinking about switching to Final Cut Studios. I heard a lot of good things but the real dealmaker is if FCS has a timewarp feature like AE. Like this: http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/newfeatures.html#nf6
    I heard Motion might have something like it, but I'm not sure about this.

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Drop premiere. Pick up FCP.

Keep AE, youll need it.

FCP timewarp is a PAIN IN THE ASS to learn and use. believe me, if you know how to do it in something else, use that, youll save yourself some headaches.

3. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know if I wanna run AE in Windows only to run BootCamp back to OSX so I can import the output to FCP. Although I don't know if AE can run on OSX, if they can, that's good. Then I'll just purchase FCP instead of FCS and keep AE. But out of curiosity, how hard is it to do timewarp in FCP?

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

5. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah there's retiming in FCP but like Premiere Pro, it's probably crappy. Slow motions will look choppy. AE works by generating new frames in the case of slow motion so the action looks smooth as if it was being filmed with a high speed camera. I heard Motion does something like this, is that true?

6. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Shake will do it...

...although I still cant figure out how. (maybe I should take the time to read that 1000 pg book that says "Owner's Manual" :eek: )

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

yah that Owner's Manual gets me too. I'd probably be great at the program if I had time to read that novel.

8. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Premiere is a steaming pile compared to FCP! I know there aren't a lot of great options on the windows side for editing, but now that you're on a mac take advantage of the good stuff and learn FCP, you'll love it. AE is a great app, or rather the output from AE is great.
    FCP is very good at cutting, but don't use the FCP text generator. To quote Strongbad...Total Crap!
    You can do the speedramps in FCP, but it'll take some time for you to learn how to do them well. Even then you'd be better off doing the real output version in AE and dropping in the effected footage.