Timing for MacBook/Pro purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JBRU, Feb 12, 2007.

  1. JBRU macrumors newbie

    Feb 12, 2007
    My lovely little iBook has a quickly degrading video problem and it's coming time to think about replacing it. I've read about Leopard's possible March release but I'm not too worried about purchasing a new machine based on that as I suspect there will be a typical upgrade for new purchasers within a reasonable time-frame. What I'm more worried about is possible upgrades to the line itself.

    So the question I bring to you: Should I buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro immediately/when my video problem becomes critical or should I hang on as long as I can?
  2. haiggy macrumors 65816

    Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm in the same boat. My iBook's video problems are quite annoying. 1/3 of the screen doesn't show up at the bottom. (I assume it's the logic board).
    Anyways, I'm waiting for a MacBook Pro too
  3. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

    Jul 26, 2006
    Many people here would just say to buy if you need it. That's true
    but it does not help Mac users' psyche :) .

    Truth be said, there is what I consider to be the "best time of the year"
    to get any Mac product : June-August. Why ? Here is a list :

    a. You might get a free iPod under the "Back to School" program (June)
    b. Tax free in some states (August)
    c. Apple (and not MacRumors) stated the Leopard will be released this year.
    d. iLife might as well be released but there is no official info available.

    Also, by that time, we might see some hardware upgrades. I would consider
    this possibility a "freebie".

    Adding up these numbers :

    4-5% off (taxes)
    US$ 150 (iPod)
    US$ 130 Leopard (more ?)
    US$ 70 iLife 07 (more ?)
    4-5% + US$ 350.00

    Now it is your call : can you wait 6 months for a new Mac ?
  4. djkny macrumors 6502

    Sep 30, 2003
    The better question is --- is $350 worth 6 months of your time? Paring that down, you're looking at roughly $59/month or $15/40HR- week or a little over 30 cents an hour.

    That's a pretty low estimation of your time/money assessment if you ask me.
  5. Xander562 macrumors 68000


    Apr 2, 2006
    So you're saying you'd rather pay someone 30 cents every singe hour for six months rather than just wait?
  6. wwooden macrumors 68000


    Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    Well, it's only 30c per hour you work, not every hour for 6 months.
  7. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

    Jul 26, 2006
    Well, again, if your work depends on the purchase of a new machine, there is
    no question to be answered here.

    If it is for leisure (which I assumed by reading the original post) and
    you want to stretch your savings the most you can...just sit and wait.
  8. djkny macrumors 6502

    Sep 30, 2003
    huh?? I was simply making the general point of what one's time is worth -- i.e. using the machine NOW for productivity vs. waiting 6 months to save $350 (and weighing that contrast). If you buy now, you lose the $350 and get an "obsolete machine" but how much are you, in a sense, making back? Preferring unproductivity (and indecision) by waiting relegates your time to a 30 cents/hour value -- over a 40-hour work week, BTW!
  9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040


    May 16, 2006
    Central Florida!
  10. kimnkk macrumors member


    Jan 22, 2007
    Me!bourne, Australia
    Yes, i agree with djkny.

    Originally i was going to wait for Leopard but the wait is ridiculous and i'm probably just going to run XP or Vista on it anyway.

    Forget the wait. If you wait for June, you might as well wait for the next reiteration of the Macbook/pro which adds another month or more to your wait.
  11. Heston macrumors regular

    Feb 13, 2007
    You don't think that when they pull out the new Leopard and iLife sometime in March - which is what the rumors are speculating at - that there might be some upgrades in hardware at that time as well? Or are we just assuming that the only time the Macbook/Pro ever gets update is during the Apple events in the late summer months?
  12. smueboy macrumors 6502a


    Oct 30, 2006
    I would hang on until your iBook is really dying, and then buy as needed. What is the problem with it?

    It depends on how tight money is (ie how much of a problem upgrading to leopard and iLife07 may be for you if you buy now).
  13. JBRU thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 12, 2007
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. Looks like I should go shopping. :)
  14. JBRU thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 12, 2007
    The display will do a funky thing where it looks like every other pixel is shifted about four to the right. Or it will shift to displaying only vertical stripes. Or a strange moire-like pattern. The problem can only be fixed by shutting the machine down and restarting it. I suspect a bad video card and/or logic board. In either case, a fairly spendy repair, which is why I'm thinking a replacement is overdue.
  15. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

    Jul 26, 2006
    Recycle this screen as a picture viewer. That's a noble
    ending for such warrior. ;)


Share This Page