Timing of 15" PB purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tsk, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #1
    I'm very close to buying my first Mac (a Powerbook 15") and would like to time my purchase to get me the best price.

    I've been assuming that sometime after Christmas Apple would probably drop prices (or perhaps bump up CPU speed a bit). Does Apple traditionally do this? I know the PC's pretty regularly announce price drops around early Feb.

    So if anyone can offer me advice on this, I'd really appreciate it (I have read the buying advice and I know it's listed as Mid Cycle).

    And I am a graduate student with a family so every $ counts.
     
  2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

    Kingsnapped

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #2
    If you have the cash, you would be good to order it Friday (to assure you get iLife '04). MacWorld showed no updates, and there aren't any expos for a while. Keep in mind that the PB G4 is a dying breed, the G5's are said to be out by the end of the year. I think price is going to be much higher once this transition happens.

    Don't be afraid to place an order because of some updates that might happen, in this world there is always a update or something around the corner, just order it whenever you want it.
     
  3. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #3
    buy now - the price won't do very much of anything. The only difference may be a speed bump some time before summer.

    People underestimate the value of having it now over saving $50.
     
  4. superbovine macrumors 68030

    superbovine

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2003
    #4
    buy any extra ram of a third party. that will save you between $50 and $100 more if you load it with a lot of memory.
     
  5. Icekey macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2003
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #5
    I have been in the same situation for the past 8 weeks. I keep putting it off for numerous reasons, and recently due to MWSF which nothing showed up. So on Friday I'm ordering a CTO. Once I get it, I won't open it till the 24th and once the superbowl is over I'll start using it. That way the price guarantee will work in my favour if needed
     
  6. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

    Ryan1524

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2003
    Location:
    Canada GTA
    #6
    why not just order it a bit later if you're going to wait to open anyway...??

    btw, i'm in the exact same situation. i need to get a new computer soon because my current one will be taken away for use somewhere else. i'm thinking i'll get it by the end of january or early feb, but then there are rumors of an update on june/july (WWDC) or in fall (or whatever was released in WWDC coming out in in sept/oct). that will cut rather too close to me getting into uni. but then i'm really hoping to get the latest update if possible, since i'll ahve to use that particular machine for the next 4 yrs, possibly.

    any advice?? :(
     
  7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

    Rod Rod

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2003
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #7
    Re: Timing of 15" PB purchase

    you might like to consider getting the 15" 1GHz combo drive model. with the education discount it's $1799, and if you add the backlit keyboard option it's $1861.

    if you want to save on sales taxes you could order a refurb from smalldog or pcconnection (if they have any in stock). taxes add up to a bunch more than shipping charges, so Apple's free shipping costs more money in the end. (at least for me).
     
  8. MattG macrumors 68040

    MattG

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Location:
    Fletcher, NC
    #8
    I doubt Powerbook G5's will be out anytime soon.

    That said, the 15" Aluminum Powerbook is an AWESOME machine. Order it. You'll be happy you did.
     

Share This Page