Tinfoil hat Wii theories

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, May 4, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Well well well. E3 is literally around the corner, if the corner was a metaphor for the weekend. Tuesday we will know all about the Wii, about what Gameinformer said
    to the Gyro nunchuck controller, and what 1up.com said
    And what Seriousgamer007 probably said "It's name is the RS and it's gold plated and flies and eats turkeys and can divide by 0"

Have you got any crackpot theories? Care to take a final stand on your metaphorical weekend soapbox and make a wild prediction that could, possibly, just possibly, come true? You may be hailed as the next Nostradamus after all.

Go forth and spread your guesses! Is it hardware? software? something special to the free online play? downloadable Virtual Boy games? free console?

2. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    This thread could be fun. ^_^ Let's try to come up with wild theories. One of them might actually turn out to be true. Here's my shot at it:

• Wii will have a suggested retail price of 1$. Only 1 per client. Nintendo will have to deal with big loss per console but still not as much as it's competitors. There will also be serious shortage at first. With a 1$ price tag, everyone will own a Wii and there will be a huge market for Wii games and accessories. ​

Crazy isn't it ;) I don't really think it possible. For one reason, people would end up buying Wii and take them apart for components.

• All newly released games available as paid downloads. Purchase games as you would purchase music on iTunes​

Very unlikely as there is not much data storage bundled with the Wii. Could be an added option.

• Wii will be forward or para compatible. ​

Meaning that it will support games created in the future or in parallel universes.

By the way, can anyone point me to a good online step-by-step guide on how to make a tinfoil hat? Preferably the "hershey" shaped ones, not the "boat" shaped or "domed" ones. Hershey shaped tinfoil hats are so much more fashionable.
  3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Nintendo and sony will make up and kiss on stage and bring a new console

The Wii3............

Xbox360 will consume the phantom and become the ghost360:confused: (skip this one)

PSP and DS will share a game where DS players can play with PSP players..

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    I started this because I have a really silly idea that links back to the Sonic 2+Knuckles etc style link ups.

-What if you could link up games? Say, Link could visit the Mushroom Kingdom if you had Mario 128 and Twilight Princess. Or you could mix characters cross games, we all (probably) liked doing the same thing in Smash Bros Melee?

On a realistic level, I think there will be some kind of render technique, yeayea it's been said before. But a sort of invisible way of seeing an image on the screen, you wouldn't notice it normally, that made the image "stand out" at the viewer? We know Nintendo has been working with ATi for a looong time on the Wii's graphics card.
  5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Like Stereo goggles without the goggles? That would be sweet. Kinda like the 3d/vr helmet thing everyone was talking about a while back.
  6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Personally I don't think the "VR helmet" rumors are 100% crazy. 95% maybe, but not 100%

The big secret will, IMHO, have to do with the online play aspect. Come on, Wii as in 'we' tells me that online play will be big with this system.

Maybe not.

Or maybe you can link it to your bank account so whenever Mario grabs a coin you get money! On the flip side, you will have to pay good money to get Link that master sword so save up your lindens! Er I mean rupees...
  7. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2006
    Central Illinois
    I think you'r egoing to see a DS link-up of sorts (via wifi maybe) that allow the DS and DS Lite to be used as pen controllers for certain Wii games.

I think that'd be sexy.
  8. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    You will be able to use the controller as a gun.

Not in the games. It will literally shoot bullets in case the game p***es you off.

I'll try to think of real ones later.
  9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    Don't care and am not losing any sleep over a company's hype machine in full force.

The quality of the product will stand or fall on its own merits; you can't eat/play/enjoy hype.

I like the phrase "rather revolutionary." So is it or isn't it? :rolleyes: Kinda like being "sorta pregnant." :)
  10. mahashel macrumors 6502

May 5, 2005
    "the lab"
    Wii will come with a 42" plasma display that can be folded up and carried around in a wallet. It's an air freshener and whitens your teeth while you sleep!
    OH, and it plays video games, too!

*post partially borrowed from Dilbert(r) comics*
  11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

Already been done- some homebrew writer wrote a Tic-Tac-Toe game for PSP and for DS and wrote the networking code so they could play multiplayer between each other.
  12. Ayre macrumors member

Jun 7, 2003
    Well, I thought that Nintendo would implement some sort of gyroscopic function in their controller when they said to look at the DS's functionality for clues, so I'm at a bit of a loss for what *else* they could do that's more revolutionary (while keeping it in the realm of possibility, of course).

I'm thinking it has something to do with that out-of-the-box WiFi functionality. Nintendo wants this thing to go online, contrary to their past systems. Maybe they'll introduce WiiWorld™, a MMOCR (Massively Multiplayer Online Chat Room), where you can meet up with friends to play online games.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- it could be true force feedback. The controller will recoil reasonably when you fire a gun, if you swing at a rock with your sword in Zelda, the controller will jolt your arm back up to indicate you can't go any further.

As for my tinfoil hat theory, I'm betting holograms. :) IGN revealed some patents a long while showing holograms laid out like action figures. This would make for some very awesome games -- especially for strategy, RTS, and simulation games. (Can you imagine Roller Coaster Tycoon laid out on your floor? How sweet would that be?)

Anyway, those are some opinions to gnaw on.
  13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    I like that theory. Maybe the announcement is that ALL multiplayer games will be internet playable? In addition to all the Virtual Console games, and they will have a free Battle.net type service. Put in/load a game and hit the mysterious Home button and be whisked away to a game lobby for it...

I don't think we'll get true forced feedback, I don't think that battery technology is quite there yet. I mean, a year ago they were having trouble getting the controller to work on it's own power at all... rumble "force feedback", sure, but not "real" FF.

Hm, my tinfoil hat theories, which I will try keep somewhat in the realm of possibility, and in no particular order...

Super low price: $99 or something, but you have to buy your own controllers @ $34.99 ea. Includes credits for a free game download from each emulated machine (which is what, six consoles at this point?).

Super low price part 2: Remember the talk about how $60 games were outragous, and the Rev/Wii would be so cheap to develop for, etc... think the Big N may lower the price of first party games to $40? That'd sure help move a LOT of units.

"Roll your own" game demos: Some/most/all games will have a feature to load a demo version onto an SD card that a friend can take home with them. You can also get them from kiosks in stores (ala the DS), perhaps online with an SD card reader. Also would work for limited online multiplayer matches as long as someone has the full game (like the DS or the old Diablo I Spawn Installs, etc). Obviously textures would be an issue on even a relatively large (512mb+) SD card, so it'd have to be very limited, highly compressed, etc.

Burner: The optical drive is a combo drive. You can burn CD-R's with it to make the above feature even better, to backup your saves and online purchased games. Plus the online store will branch into selling media, mostly kid stuff like cartoons, ala the GBA video packs, which would be burnable.

Bundled WiFi adaptor: They want everyone online, so they'll throw a WiFi adaptor in the box (a USB one for your PC so the Wii's internal WiFi card can connect through your PC - like the system they are offering for the DS). Not really tinfoil hat, and very un-Nintendo as they LOVE to sell tons of accessories.

Built in Video-Cam: A ~1mp videocam built into the sensor bar that tracks the wand controller. Used for eyeToy like games, and some limited "augmented reality" stuff... includes software to take a couple stills of your face and map it onto a choice of models, etc.

Voice Recognition: A omnidirectional mic in the same location as the cam listens to the whole room. Used for internet games with chat, and voice commands in single player games, but the new part of it would be the systems ability to recognize a particular voice for party games. Before you start you "train it" so it knows what each player sounds like. So the mini games could, for example, be a question and the first one to shout out the answer wins, etc.

I'm done now. Sorry about that. REALLY bored at work this morning, and can't focus on anything, so I'm hear boring you all. :)
  14. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    I was saying to some mates a few days ago, they should really box up these old Virtual Console games too. Just in thin DVD boxes like, for those without an internet connection or just want the box too. Would have the original box art, original back etc. Saved onto a mini CD (making them very, very cheap). For about double the price of a download game. Or do packs, I certainly see packs in shops, like the Sonic Pack or Mario Allstars Wii (with Mario 64 and Sunshine too). It just makes a little bit of sense as the internet isn't in all homes yet.
    I think we're going to see more Virtual Console machines too. Master System I think is a certainty. Saturn perhaps? I'm still expecting the Wii to play GB/GBA games (probably under the door on the front of the machine). I doubt it, but Amiga games would be a killer especially in the machines native continent. Wiz n Liz, Turrican, Lemmings, Worms etc? Though most of the original publishers have since shut their doors.
    Not THE feature though.

On a side note; I think we're going to see first shots of F-Zero DS. A downsized F-Zero GX engine but with N64 style "coloured block" ships. Works with rumble and wi-fi.
  15. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    I think the confirmed virtual console systems are: NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, TBGrfx16... and I feel like I am missing one.

Virtual console retail games might be popular, but only in packs like you mentioned. Seems like the price to get them into stores would be too high otherwise (production, shipping them to the retailers, the sellers cut of the profits, etc).

Hm, if the Wii was gonna play GB/GBA games why not just have it be via the Virtual Console and save the cost of adding the extra hardware?

I remember loving FZero on the SNES, but haven't really enjoyed any of them since then. Mario Kart is just so much fun, I don't have time to play any other racer.
  16. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Yea it just seems really strange that they have everything playing on the Wii, but not GB or GBA, though you could argue the DS plays GBA games. Especially seeing the GB's incredible life span and the number of classic games on it. Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot with no GB support. I think.
  17. rob finch macrumors member

Mar 24, 2006
    For perhaps the ultimate tinfoil hat theory, check this out. Similar to Ayre's hologram suggestion, for those that do not wish to read through the whole post, he is suggesting Nintendo are moving into 3D movie making, using a projector so that the Wii does not need a TV to function. The games are effectively 3D interactive movies, projected into the room.

I've read somewhere that Wii having two i's means that the final revolutionary secret is visual, i.e. two eyes. Maybe it's a generation too early for this, but I'd sure love to see it!
  18. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Heh, I read that [whole] post and it's pretty decent round up of a lot of rumours and theories... right up 'till the end. He mentions information that the Rev/Wii's base is supposed to be a battery, but doesn't give anything to support that theory... probably some confusion with the base potentially being a powersupply, which I think it turned out it wasn't? Then he links to a company that makes very small laser projectors as proof of a 3D projection technology. Except that you need more than a laser projector to make a 3D image, and the only models this company has working are monochrome green.

Pretty good "tinfoil hat" theory tho!

The more that I watch these augmented reality demo videos the more I think that this is the last big secret. Here's the latest one making the rounds... http://www.t-immersion.com/0_swf/FL...NQUE_VIDEOS/VIDEOS/Broadcast_Applications.flv

I assume it needs to have two offset video camera's to get a stereoscopic view to work with, but 1mp webcams are dirt cheap when you order 5 million like Ninty would. The whole idea just fits to well with the Wii controller and N's hints, etc.
  19. Ayre macrumors member

Jun 7, 2003
    That set my imagination on fire. Has anyone else noticed that every image/movie of someone playing a Revolution does NOT show the TV? Cue back to the image of the two kids playing the Wii version of Rayman, the kid on the right looks absolutely flabbergasted. It could just be an advertisement ("Wow, a the graphics look so rad!"), but who knows?
  20. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    I read somewhere that one of Ninty's requirements for publishing screenshots of Wii games is that there be a picture of someone playing it, to help reinforce the idea of the controller and it's freedom of motion. Not sure if that's just for advertisments, or in general, but my point is that they are really pushing PLAYING games as opposed to watching them as the primary Wii concept.
  21. Ayre macrumors member

Jun 7, 2003
    That's interesting. Nintendo's intent is probably to dispel the lack of bad buzz about graphic quality until they can get the true secret out at E3.

C'mon, May 8th! C'mon and get here already!
  22. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2006
    Definitely a partnership between Apple and Nintendo. It's Apple's media center...no wonder the Mac Mini wasn't.

JK, not so much something that will happen, as something that I wish would happen.
  23. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    "Bad buzz about draphic quality"? Can we just dispel this myth. Not just directed at who I quoted but everyone who mentions graphic power and quality of the Wii.

- Devs had said that all systems will look the same in SD resolutions
    - The RS screenshots indicated use of HDR and other graphic effects seen on 360 and PS3.
    - The only lacking element for the Rev/Wii is HD resolutions.
    - "You will see the Revolution and say wow".
    - The Rev/Wii is more than double the power of the Cube, thats more than double the amount of polygons, lighting effects etc. Aka, a 360 in SD.
    - The video card has been in development for the past 4 years. (which is a strange one as graphics cards age quickly, tinfoil hat?)

The end.
  24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Don't be too quick. We'll see at E3.

I've seen other devs saying the graphics will look like an upgraded gamecube. I've doubts as to whether the Red Steel screenshots are using HDR; it's actually somewhat hard to tell, and some of the lighting effects are reminiscent of Marvel Nemesis on the XBox.

The exact power of the Rev/Wii has not been officially confirmed in any way, shape, or form. IGN only revealed the clock speed of a dev kit (1.5 times more).

I refuse to draw conclusions on this until E3.
  25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    The Rev trailer showed people playing on a TV, but the camera was atop the TV. At the end of the trailer he turned the TV off.

Some of the Rev pictures showed the controller pointing at a TV, which was off.

Nintendo said it'll work on HDTVs.