Tinker storm Phase X

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by 840quadra, May 12, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Is it just my computers, or does it seem that we are all getting only Tinkers recently?

My numbers have gone from an all time high, to a new low recently, and our team stats have tanked as well. Looks like the other teams will have no problem passing us now if things stay the way they are going now!

2. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

It's not just you, I have a Tinker too. I also only have one processor instead of 8, and still I fold.

3. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am just doing this for fun, and to benifit the cause. I was folding on 1 processor for quite a bit before I built my Dual G4, and bought my Dual G5. My links in my signature are to hopefully spread the word more about Macrumors folding. I am hoping, and would love to be passed up by lots of new blood, as far as stats go!

It is good to see that it isn't just me running into the Tinkers. My poor Dual 533 and single 500 take almost 2 weeks per tinker to complete :(

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Just for fun.... You are one of the top 20 producers of our team. Then folding is fun! :D

BTW, also have tinkers, again...

5. Macaholic G5 macrumors newbie

Macaholic G5

Once again. To avoid Tinkers on G3s and G4s. Turn 5MB OFF and leave -advmethods on. G5s can handle Tinkers no problem. Keep up the fold!

6. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I got slammed too. All the recent Tinkers I have gotten have taken at least 24 hours to process on my 2.3. I was excited to see how fast my machine would crank through them, but the first one I got on my new Mac took 3+ days!! :eek: :)

Again, put to shame.

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

We have discussed those methods before, and that doesn't help. The 5MB are for new WU's, Beta units if I'm correct. -advmethods wasn't for Tinkers (or not getting them). And G5's can handle Tinkers, G4 and G3's can too. It only takes a bit longer. I also see a big dent in my output with my G5.

8. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I agree with Dreadnought on this. I have attempted these switches (possibly incorrectly) on all of my computers and see no effect.

I am not going to stop folding because of this, it just sucks that the tinkers favor the long pipelines so much. Yes, the G5's can handle Tinker cores, it is just that my 1.6 GHZ Pentium M is much faster then my G5 at folding Them. :(

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The G4s are really bad at Tinkers. Clock for clock, the latest G3s are faster processing Tinkers than the G4s since the G4 has such pathetic floating point capabilities.

11. Macaholic G5 macrumors newbie

Macaholic G5

OK. Just a friendly piece of advice and empirical observation coming from hours of tweaking G3s, G4s, G5s, P4s, Dual Athlons, and Dual Xeons for maximum efficiency.

From the most recent queue.dat file of a Cube G4/1.0GHz running -advmethods and 5MB OFF;

All regular Gromacs. Been running this way the last several months and NEVER a Tinker. Plenty more queue.dat files available from other Mac folders if you would like to peruse them. :)

12. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

thanks for the input on this thread.

How do I configure my system (without error) to get these switches to work?

Does this need to happen when I do the dual processor install script, or can I do it from Darwin at any point in time?

Thanks for the help!

13. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I looked at your team, and it appears that the OSX group's numbers tanked, and remain low at near the same time Macrumors did, while more PC based groups do not show such drops. It may not be Tinker related, but it looks like the recent WU's being released by Stanford are not too Macintosh friendly.

14. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

When you are folding with a DP computer.....is it possible to assign only one of the CPU's to fold so that you have one for all the other thing or :confused:

15. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Well kinda,

you can start only one process, and never the other (command line "start1") but it really won't get you anywhere in most cases. Since the system sets the priority so low for folding, you will not notice if both processors are folding at the same time. I can run folding@home while encoding H.264 in relatively the same amount of time as I can running only the H.264 encoding software alone.

The Folding@home FAQ in my signature has great information in regards to the program, and you can go to Stanford's site to learn more detailed information.

So in short,

You can fold on only one process at a time if you like, but the speed loss you experience on other processes while folding are next to nill. I am one of many people in the fold that rarely shut the folding application down on my system.

HTH, and others please chime in with corrections or your input!

Regards,

16. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Oh Ok thanks.......well then not really a difference :p

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

do we have any data on what the machine makeup is for MR and OSX, vs. the "PC based groups?"

16 of my 19 CPUs are PCs.

have you looked at the page that shows member participation? perhaps participation dropped and the tinker correlation is coincidental.

18. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Maybe some people stopped because of the tinkers... They could be very demotivating.

19. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Fortunately, I haven't had a Tinker on my machines in a long time. However, Vijay Pande and his crew are trying to get the Tinker core more optimized...hopefully they will succeed. :cool:

20. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Okay: I give in

I have a Pentium 4 at work that does nothing. I will start folding with it. I've never done this, how do I start? I obviously want to be on the MacRumors team.

21. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

all of mine are PC's :eek:
    One at home, the rest at PC-world-work.

22. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

In case you haven't started yet or gotten the info from somebody, this is the best place to begin...

Folding FAQ

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for PCs, i like running it as a service. it'll run regardless of who's logged on. a good implementation can be found under "Folding@Home Windows Service Installer" on this page. since it's a work PC, to abide by the EULA, you must have permission to use the machine for folding.

the installer will give you a chance to enter your userid and team # (3446).