TiPowerBook 400 Mhz and Quartz Extreme?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Chomolungma, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Chomolungma macrumors regular

I have a Rev. A 400 Ti PowerBook and the graphic card is called ATY, RageM3p 12 Parent. It also has 384 MB of RAM. Does anyone know if this computer can utilize Quartz Extreme. If so I'll would like to upgrade to Panther as it comes out. I'm running 10.1.5 and it is quite slow!

Thanks in advance,
    Chomo

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I'm afarid Quartz Extreme is not possible on your PowerBook. The grfx card is an ATi Rage mobility, with 8 MB VRAM. You need an ATi Radeon or higher card with 16 MB VRAM minimum.
    But I can assure you that Panther will be so much faster on the PowerBookn than Puma! Even Jaguar would have made an enormous difference! It's not all down to QE.
    Get Panther, you will not be disappointed!

3. Chomolungma thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks MacsRgr8

I'll get Panther, and hope for the best.

-Chomo

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

No friends with a copy? So you can test , and admire, first?

5. Chomolungma thread starter macrumors regular

You make a good suggestion

I may bring my PB into an Apple Store (Plano, TX). As I recall, they usually have the latest OS on a portable Firewire Drive, which they use to troubleshoot. Although, I don't think it would prove much given that the OS is running off of the portable drive. I done it before about a year ago with Jaguar @Tyson Corner, VA store, but didn't notice much difference.

I'll try to find an Apple shop in Sante Fe, NM first.

Thanks!

-Chomo

6. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I will gladly trade you for a laptop with a RADEON 7500 - but it is not a Mac.

:^)

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

apple store will not have panther for you test it out on. only developers have it now, and if one of those employees have it he will probably be risking his job if he showed you.

iJon

8. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I don't know whether it can utilize Quartz Extreme fully, but I believe it can use it to some extent. I say that because I used 350Mhz G3 iMac with Jaguar installed and graphics seemed to work pretty well.

I remember reading that Panther will work well with older G3 machines and it is supposed to have better performance than Jaguar. So I think Panther will be worth the upgrade.