Tips for calibrating a new display?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by bluetooth, Feb 15, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

bluetooth

I just puchased the Dell 240WFP-HC Colour Monitor. I am impressed thus far however I would like to calibrate the monitor as the factory settings are usually set for office environments rather then for digital/graphic professionals.

Any tips or sites/links info would be greatly appreciated.

Upon initial appearance, things seem to be a tad bright and not completely crisp.

- Thanks

I have attached an image with current resolution settings etc.

I also connected through DVi as I understand this is superior for display to VGA, correct?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors demi-goddess

digitalnicotine

Here is a link you can try. Screen Check. You may also want to look into a color calibrator such as one of these. Good luck. :)

3. Guest

shecky

at a minimum, go to apple > system preferences > displays > color > calibrate and check "expert mode" and do a calibration.

4. macrumors regular

bbeers

Huey Pro

I recommend the Pantone Huey Pro. Does a good job on my machine and even check the light every so often and re adjusts the screen.

Huey Pro

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluetooth

Cheers Shecky - I did not even realize that option when I was poking around the display preference. I simply selected my display name from the menu. .

Those are also good links you guys provided, thanks for the info!

Here are some links that you among others may also find interesting:
    http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/11791.html
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/#colorbands.png

6. macrumors regular

adamzx3

I second getting a hardware calibrator if you want accurate color, while software calibration can get close, it's not that great.

7. macrumors 65816

I had no idea OS X had a built in calibration thing. This MBP screen looks 100x better now. The colors are a ton more vivid now.

Hopefully I got it calibrated well enough that when I print stuff the color is close. Thanks for the tip shecky!