Tips for getting a girl to like me

Discussion in 'Community' started by Will Curran, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

I need to get a date for Christmas dance, and I need tips for getting a girl to like me.

2. armandocerna macrumors regular

Are you friendly with her? If I were you I would just ask her first and see what she says. If she already said no and you are trying to change her mind I would just give up and move on. You shouldn't need to do anything special to get someone to like you If she likes you she likes you if she doesn't then move on. I think you should be yourself no matter what. I am assuming you are pretty young you will have plenty of time to meet people don't stress too much. Maybe get her a rose or something

3. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

ok. not that I have too much experiance in this dept, but here it goes.
    dont try to hard. if a girl is going to like you, you want her to like you for who you are, not who you think she wants you to be. i know this sounds cheesey, but its absolutley true. keep your eyes open, but dont go searching for girls. if she likes you, and you like her, youll click. if there is a girl you like, and who you like likes you, make an effort. talk to her. get to know her. eventually, ask her out. but whatever you do. dont get a date just for the sake of getting a date, because you will regre it later. good luck!!

4. spasticmutant macrumors member

Buy her a new powerbook.

Anne Marie

5. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

I'm getting mine first. Second. Need a cheaper solution.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Meh, I'd start with an pink iPod mini. But what the others said is so true. Regardless of how cute or popular she is, if you have to be something that you aren't in order to impress her, you won't have a fun relationship.

If this is just a date for a dance, find a cutie, have a great night, and don't stress over it.

7. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

ibook? :D

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Seeing as he just turned 15 (happy belated birthday), you must really be in the land of make-believe if you think that a kid not old enough to get a job could have a six figure checking account. I doubt that it would be too convincing.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Is there a particular girl? Or do you just want to be more desirable in general?

My advice: if it is a particular girl, be honest with her. Tell her that you want to go to the dance with her. Don't try to win her over by being someone else. I'm gunna quote Lauryn Hill:

"we date people..... we put on the make up... we dress up... and then we do things we'll never ever ever ever do again.... and that's why so many marriages end up in divorce because people wake up next to a stranger. They say 'who the hell are you?'" -Lauryn Hill

I agree with most of the things Lauryn Hill says and this is no exception. Let this girl get to know you, not who you make yourself out to be.

If you just want to be more desirable then, once again, just be honest. "Nothing can be done against the truth, no matter how we remain in denial." -Lauryn Hill. I know I sound like a broken record (or a Lauryn Hill CD ;)), but I really think that the best thing you can do to get into a healthy (romantic or friendly) relationship.

scem0

10. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Hey Will -- tell us a little more about yourself. Are you outgoing, shy, generally good around girls, generally bad around girls?

Be more specific, and we'll give you more specific tips on how to win her over ... for example, getting her a pink iPod Mini vs. a blue iPod Mini. :D

Really though, I echo most on this thread: be yourself. Maybe if you're especially shy, work up a little confidence just for the moment, or if you're especially outgoing, tone it down slightly for the moment so as not to intimidate her ... make sure, though, that you're being yourself the other 99.9% of the time.

11. spasticmutant macrumors member

Smart. Place the oxygen mask over your own nose and mouth before attempting to assist others.

Chocolate is good, flowers are nice, you're probably too young to buy a nice bottle of champagne so I won't suggest that. Or, you could invite her out for a movie, maybe a bike ride and a picnic (if weather permits), anything to spend a little time so she can feel more comfortable with you. This time of year maybe the ice skating rinks are open - that's always fun. Don't let her break her ankle before the dance, though. :D

DO NOT offer to do her homework for her - that's a sign of desperation.

Anne Marie

12. jaromski macrumors regular

jaromski

here is some free advice, now i am not saying it is any good, but =>

1. stop crapping drawers in public.
    2. see #1

follow these instructions as best you can and you will have the women all over you. and buying her a powerbook as mentioned above can't hurt.

flattery never faileth.

jaromski

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i think if you're stuck asking for girl help in a tech forum, then you're outta luck... :rolleyes:

14. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Just find someone you like and have the courage to ask them. I have been surprised when girls I thought were out of my league have said yes just because I had the courage to ask.

Edit: also ask in person instead of over the phone, it's harder to say no to someone in person.

15. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

hehe...

Give her an iPod, grab her hand...and don't let go! :eek:

16. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

youll find one of your best recources are friends. find someone who you can talk to, maybe someone who has gone through this stage. they are allways the ones to push you the extra mile to ask the girl out, and that when it really pays off.

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

That's the best advice yet. Girls don't see dances as a huge deal, from what I've seen, so you should just ask her and see what she says. Who knows! If it works out, it could be a nice, comfortable situation in which to spark a future relationship. And if it doesn't work out, a dance is the best place to be, because it's structured enough to reduce awkwardness (and similar things will be happening to lots of other people).

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They say the girls on Van Buren like you quite well if you slide them some cash, no need for a PowerBook.

If she likes you, ok... but you won't know unless you ask.

19. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

This applies if you are asking her out for the 1st time (not if you've tried before):
    Be yourself and have confidence. Not all girls consider themselves high & mighty above everyone else. Girls are self conscious too. Any girl will be flattered to be asked out. If you are confident in yourself then it will not matter whether or not she says yes or no.....it will be her loss. If she sees that you are confident in yourself I almost guarantee she'll say yes. Women love confident men. Buy her a rose or any other flower you think she'll like (just one b/c more may seem desperate to someone you're not already dating)......and give it to her when you ask her to the dance. If she says no, tell her to keep the flower and that your offer stands. Don't be nervous........do whatever you need to do to be in a happy/confident state when you ask. EYE CONTACT.....do not look down, up, or away when talking to her......look at her eyes.
    Good luck!

20. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Disagree

dotnina, jovian9 and others have given him good advice.

Besides, the internet is a very safe and non-threatening way to get personal advice - coupled with the fact that most geeks on a tech forum have been there too, so they would offer him honest and helpful info :)

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

For a Powerbook, I'd sleep with you and marry you. :p

(and I'm a heterosexual male)

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Good advice so far.

If you know she likes you as well, then just walk up to her, look into her eyes, and ask. If you're a mumbling, bumbling idiot at talking to girls, then just be the mumbling idiot that you are. If you're confident enough to talk to girls very regularly in class and such, then be that confident guy. If she likes you already, then there's probably a reason she does, so make sure that quality is still there when you ask. If she's the type that thinks it's cute if you're shy about this sort of thing, and she already likes you, then it's okay to act shy. In other words, just act like yourself, although a slightly more nervous version of yourself, if she already likes you.

And staring into her eyes is the difference between friends and girlfriends. If you stare into her eyes when you ask, you're in.

If you asked her before, or you're not sure if she likes you, then talk to her a bit more often, but stare into her eyes whenever you do. Seriously, eye contact is a very very basic thing to do that works exceptionally well. :)

Look into a girl's eyes, and it's like looking into her heart. She'll love you for it. ;)

23. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

haha, I'd agree with that! If you do that she'll know you mean it. Of course, if you just trying to find someone, and you don't already have anyone in mind, she may freak out a little if you do that, lol :D Gotta love the iPod suggestions, but *most* girls don't care about you giving them stuff, they just want you to be you. (at least that's how i feel... :rolleyes: )

24. spasticmutant macrumors member

You're selling yourself short. Demand a new 23" Cinema display as well. You know you're worth it! :p

Anne Marie