Tips for going from G3 to G5, OS9 to X?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by deziner, Feb 4, 2004.

1. deziner macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2004
    HELP - Input please?
    I have a blue & white G3 and Apple CRT - running Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro for graphics and animation. Targa 2000 card for output. (The Targa card will not work on OSX, and needs to be replaced)

I am going to replace system in phases:
    Dual NEC monitors 17" flat panel LCD (my Apple is blurry)
    - I guess I need some sort of adapter VGA, does Dr.Bott work with G5, will I be able to use my new monitors with the G3 until I get the G5? Other suggestions?

Apple G5 1.6GHz (can't afford dual processor)
    - I want to add 2 Gig RAM, how do these SIMPLE 1GB Kits work?

LACIE 500GB BIG DISK FW400/800 USB
    - How many external Hard drives can I add to the G5?

- Sorry to be so elemmentary in this, but right now I also have some items plugged into the USB slot on the Apple CRT: a scanner, an Imation SUperdisk drive and JAZ drive.

- I have an external HD firewire so I assume I can use that with the new G5.

- Targa replaced with Aja IO - anyone use this for video in and out?

- Oh, and all the software will have to be upgraded for OSX I assume, what issues are people encountering with OSX and rebooting in "classic mode?"

I'm sure I'm leaving something out but welcome any input and recommendations.
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Re: Tips for going from G3 to G5, OS9 to X?

I must point out to you that you can't reboot in 'classic mode' on the PowerMac G5s. You can still run the Classic environment from within Mac OS X, though. Any applications you may have that require booting into Mac OS 9, such as some scanner software, will need to be replaced when you get the computer (assuming you still want to use the scanner). The rest I can't help you with, sadly.
  3. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    If all you can afford is the 1.6 G5, and you are still going to be needing OS 9 functionality, then perhaps you will be better off getting a Dual 1.25 G4. It performs better than the single 1.6, and it comes with the ability (and software) to dual-boot into OS 9 and X (although I think it may come with Jaguar, instead of panther, but I am not sure about this).
  4. macrumors regular

Dec 6, 2003
    Check out they have the single 1.8 for $1699 after rebate- which form what I understand is a much better machine than the 1.6. I jsut ordered one myself- upgrading from a G3-350