Tips for Trip to Africa

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wes, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm going on a month long trip to Namibia in Southern Africa on Monday. It should be amazing, a week of relaxation, some sight seeing, and helping some local school kids. My school in London has made some ties with a small provincal school in Namibia so we go there to help as we can, bring books, teach classes, build new facilities and etc. English is the language classes are taught in and the teachers aren't that proficient themselves. We're going to be trekking in Fish River Canyon, the second largest canyon in the world behind the Grand Canyon. It should be an eye-opening and introspective trip. Hopefully we'll be doing some sandboarding and white water rafting. Any tips for the impending trip?[​IMG]
    I'm almost packed, got all my supplies, ready and rarring to go.
    I'll see you all in a month.
    Enjoy WWDC, I'll be forced to read up on it when I return.

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I'm totally jealous.

Don't drink the water ;) I don't drink the water in the country where my body is used to what ever icky things are in it, so I definately wouldn't drink it any where else where my body isn't used to it! :eek:

Seriously? Take a little bit of every kind of medication: Tylenol, allergy medicine, aspirin, ibuprofen, anti-diahrea (sp?), topical antibiotic, etc.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you ass, you didn't tell me your goign to africa. anyways that should be a real fun time, i cant really complain after my europe trip. like the other person said, bring those medicines and stuff. other than that im sure you pretty smart with what to pack.

iJon

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...don't drink the water, make sure you have all the necessary shots before you go....and then have a great time - sounds like fun...oh yeah!

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bring toilet paper.

before a trip, i'll save several half-used or 2/3-used rolls. they squash down and pack nicely. good in a pinch.

pun intended.

6. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

I've had about... 6 injections.

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    AIDS is running rampant so be careful in that regards.
    Never been to Namibia, spent 6 wks in South Africa though, visited Swaziland. Try to make a side trip to a game preserve. I know I will never forget Kruger Park. Seeing animals in the wild is incredible and nothing can prepare you for seeing a bull african elephant up close.

8. Amani macrumors member

Amani

The suggestions so far are really good, especially about the water. I accidently drunk non-purchased, non-bottled water there and I was going to the bathroom for days.

But on a more positive note, just relax and get to know the people. My wife and I went back in 1994 and spent a month in Ghana. We're African American, so in some circles we were not seen just as just tourists. But after a week of being there, we begin to meet and get to know a few people that helped us get around and see all parts of the city of Accra--the poor and the affluent. It was so relaxing to hang out and laugh, exchange stories, and find out that even though American has great material abundance, there are other things that are much more important.

I'm not sure what your budget is like, but make sure you stay in a decent hotel where you get good service. Though I detest the class disparities in Africa, I didn't choose the month I was there to be at one with the people. We were not prepared for that. We found the best living situtation we could afford. We didn't stay in one of the five star hotels, but we where did stay was comfortable and hospitable.

Anyway, let us know what specifically you need to know so that we can help you better to prepare.

9. aplasticspork macrumors regular

malaria pills, ask your doctor about malaria pills. there are a number of different kinds and you need specific ones for different regions. other than that i dont think theres anything that hasnt been mentioned. definitely bring toilet paper like previously mentioned, i've been to zimbabwe about nine times and its very very useful ;)

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

watch out for aids, malaria, TB, hepatitis...

Yeah, don't drink the water, get your shots (which you have), pack your medicine and toiletries, and avoid getting bitten by things.

And take lots of pictures! Tell us about your trip!

11. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Well I'm back in the UK now after arriving a few hours late this morning (an old lady had a heart attack on the way back and we had to return to Johannesburg and unload her).

There's so much to say and I'll post my pictures when I get them developed.

Basic Itinerary:

London
    J'Berg
    Livingstone (Zambia)
    Victoria Falls
    Katima Mulilo (Namibia)
    Etosha (National Park, saw the big 5)
    Oshakati (Helped local school children by handing out 500 uniforms, most of the kids only have the clothes on their backs)
    Cheetah farm (got to pet a tame Cheetah and see some wild ones feeding)
    Spitzkoppe (I hope to have some amazing pictures)
    [​IMG]

Swakupmund (Rest stop)
    Sesriem and Sossuvlei
    Fish River Canyon (81 Kilometer hike along the canyon in 5 days)
    [​IMG]
    Windhoek
    J'Berg
    London

12. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
  13. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Make sure to take monkey repellant. If none is available, an effective technique to avoid conflict is to drop your pants and moon them.
    Also, when in lion country, always bring a friend. And make sure he can run slower than you.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Take lots of film/memory for your camera and bring us back some photos.

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The sunblock's probably not so important now that his trip's over and he's back home in London.

16. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

I was going to say ;).

The film will be put in for development tomorrow, hope I got some good pictures.

17. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

damnit, im stupid and didn't see the dates.. i knew this looked familiar. :eek: :eek:

18. amyhre macrumors member

A 30-06 with plenty of ammo might come in handy. It never hurts to be prepared, especially in a wild animal park. But they probably won't let you in with one so just don't bring any food into the park.

19. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Just one tip

Yup, just one.

The flies will bite you - yes that's bite you - during the day, and the mosquitos will do the same to you at night, so take an insect repellant that works.

Of course it does depend exactly where in Namibia you go. Also, it's been so long since I was last there, I don't recall exactly which months have the worst insect infestations.

Oh, and have a great time :)

Edit: Oops, didn't see the date, but I'll leave my comment unchanged just in case others decide to follow suit