Tips on a career for a (sorta soon to be) new grad?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jrk07, Oct 31, 2005.

1. jrk07 macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2005
    I am going to be graduating in May of 06' and have been getting very nervous about finding a job that will yield a great career for me. I will be graduating on time (4 years) with a BA in Communication Design option in Media Arts. I have definitely been feeling a bit of abandon from my college who offers no sort of job assistance/placement. I will be moving back to the San Francisco Bay area when I graduate and would be open to moving anywhere there is work.

My skills are that i'm great with computers and other technology gadgets, and I am experienced in Final Cut Pro. I am just wondering what sort of job I have a chance at getting right out of college. Anybody with a similar degree have any advice/input?

I have contemplated moving down to southern California and tried to live it up as a video editor, but feel like I would still not be able to find any work. I have interned at a local TV station and have sorta decided that's not my bag. Sorry if it sounds like I am just rambling but I just feel very lost at this point in my college career and don't know what to expect when I get out. Any sort of input would be great.
  2. dansuz1 macrumors member

May 7, 2003
    Washington, D.C.
    Come on all you computer geeks! Help a guy out.

Unfortunately, I work for a big multi-national manufacturing company. We don't have any positions that would be suitable for you. Likewise, we send out your type of work to contractors, so I don't have anyone I can call to solicit advice for you.

But, MR is chock full of computer geeks that work in the exact industries that you are talking about. They can give you some great advice.

So come out, come out, where ever you are...and give Jrk07 some guidance!
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Can you at least give us a broad list of things you DO like? Sure, you don't like TV, but honestly, its hard enough to get any job in this sort of field, so if a good TV job comes up, I suggest you take it.

Otherwise, tell us what you WANT to do, or what you imagine yourself doing if you closed your eyes and thought about it. Where are you? What are you doing? WHO are you doing? (joking)
  4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68020

Jan 10, 2007
    Congratulations. You just resurrected a five-year-old thread. Nice going.

....sounds like you could use some more schooling. :rolleyes:
  5. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2008
    2nd Star to the Right
    Have you considered shiftless layabout? I'm seriously considering that as my next career move.

I wish I were joking.
  6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2008
    2nd Star to the Right
    Nah, I'm totally serious.

You don't think "shiftless layabout" has a nicer ring to it than "ne'er do well"? It totally beats "slacker," don't you think?

And oddly enough, I'm completely sober, which is a rare state of being for me.