Tired of republican bashing.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

You know, I read these boards everyday, and I am sick of the portrail of republicans by everyone. We all know that Lincoln was a republican and fought to keep the country together. In addition freed the slaves. Did you know that more republicans voted for the civil rights acts of the 1960's than did democrats! Did you know that Kennedy was hated by the democrats because of the ideals of civil rights he had. Did you know that George and Barbara Bush were one of the originial founding contributers to the United Negro College fund. Did you know that we want you to have more of your money, instead of the government having it to blow on stupid studies like the mating cycle of the fire ant! Did you know that we want you to be able to invest your own retirement money, and earn better than the 2% that the government does. That is crazy right. Well, it is a good idea for the democrats in Congress. You see they are exempt from Social security and medicare. They know it doesn't work, and will not be here, so they have their own retirement plan, but not you, your not smart enough to figure that out, they have to hold your hand. They are a party without ideas, and they support too many different agendas.

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Unfortunately, Republicans control the house, senate, white house, and will likely continue to stack the supreme court.

As such, any bashing related to current events or the government has to be aimed at them.

If you can't stand the heat, don't run for office (or vote a straight party ticket).

3. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

You know what I mean. I don't mind the facts. I don't like everything that Bush does. I personally think that we should be much more involved in helping the Palistinians. What I am talking about are the people that say Bush is racist, Bush is stupid, Bush this and that. The ones that say bad things about me, and people I know because they think we want them to be poor forever. The tax cut that Bush wants the group that benifits the most is the small buisness owner. 500,000 small business owners would be able to invest that money back into their people, their business and grow the economy.

You know what I mean mcrain ;)

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Of course I know what you mean. As a Democrat, I put up with Republicans bashing Clinton constantly. I mean, there was a multimillion dollar investigation, and they came up with a lie about infidelity. Sute, that's terrible, and sure it was under oath, but that didn't come out (no pun intended) until his 6th or 7th year in office, while the bashing had started well before he was even elected.

It is unfortunately part of the game now. In the "old" days, politics wasn't about being mean and trying to destroy the public's view of a politician. At least, not to the degree they do it today. I think it started with the Iran-Contra affair, and people suddenly realized just how effective a scandle can affect public opinion and approval ratings.

5. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I can only imagine the stuff that you put up with as a democrat. You know that only thing that miffed me about Clinton, was that if it were you or I that did that, we not only would have gone to jail, but would have by all means lost our jobs. Can you imagine if your boss found out that you had received oral sex while on the phone with him, while in your office.

That was my point. I am tired of the double standard of justice that famous and rich people get. That is the real problem in this county, the criminal justice system, it doesn't work.
    C

6. 3777 macrumors 6502

Remind me to buy from you next time I purchase a Mac:eek: I agree with you on the Palestinian issue too, I feel especially uneasy when I see US officials so eagerly throwing their support over to Israel with a thug like Sharon in power. Really too bad when you think about it, that it was a right wing Israeli extremeist who was able to completely derail what looked like a real chance at peace, when he killed Rabin.

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Bashing is one thing, giving an opinion is another, I for one do not care for our current president and if a subject comes up I wont hide how I feel about it, I did like Clinton though and there are plenty of times that people run their mouths about him but I do not take any personal offence to it, there are two (main) parties for a reason and that is we all do not agree on the same subjects. If someone bashes republicans then dont take offence, just because your might be one doesnt mean its a personal attack on you.

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I agree that if you or I did something like that we'd get fired, but there are certain additional layers of protection that the Constitution affords the president. Those layers are there so that the Nation's commander in chief isn't distracted by civil or minor criminal actions. The president has a job bigger than either your job or my job, and in order for him to be able to do his job, he has to be, in some ways (while president) above the law. I can not believe I just said that, but it's true. BUT, while he (or someday she) has protection from certain actions while a president, that protection goes away when they are not in office anymore. PLUS, neither you or I would ever have customers randomly bashing us, insulting us, while at the same time asking for special favors. PLUS, the president may not have to worry about certain civil suits, he or she does have to worry about a lot of other stuff.

Ok, I lost my train of thought, so that's it for now.

9. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

The economy was going to **** before Clinton left office, and would have gone to **** even if Gore would have won. You know why the economy was good during Clinton. Not because of what Clinton did, but because of Microsoft, Apple, Intel, the Internet, and the boom that was came with it. That is what drove the 80's It would have happened even with a republican in office. Now, I think Clinton was a good president, and he did do some good things, but one of the finest, no. Can he compare to Kennedy, no, Roosevelt, no, Lincoln, no Adams, no, Reagan, no. He was the greatest presidents ever at getting a lot of credit for doing not a lot.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

But, what would happen if it was your boss getting a hummer in his office? Do you think anything would happen then?

11. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

The thing that bit me was that he committed perjury in a civil case. The charge was before he was the President. He lied and thus effect the outcome of that case that was being tried. To me that is a high crime. Obstruction of justice. I agree, the whole thing was stupid and petty, but none the less, if that had been our sister suing him, we would have been a little pissed, true?

:)

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I like Clinton, so it pains me to say that that was one of the better posts on the subject of presidential credit.

Oh, I do not think that Reagan (not his press secretary? (Regan)) was nearly as great a president as Republicans like to make him out to be.

13. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

That depends. If I am the boss and get busted, I step down for self respect. If my boss got busted and the company was public, yep he is gone. Now in a private company, maybe not. Maybe.

It all boils down to ethics.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes, I would have been pissed. But, it doesn't matter. He was the president and while president he shouldn't have had to subject himself to those issues. It degraded the office, it reduced the respect he should have had b/c he was president, and made our country look pretty dumb.

Oh, and as a tactical matter, it was stupid to proceed while he was in office. Doing so made the purjery something that would never be prosecuted. If they really wanted to "get him" in a criminal context, they would have waited until after he was out of office, then gone forward with the depositions and the case, and then, when he was no longer the president and no longer had the huge amount of power stemming from that office, they could have brought charges for purjury that may have actually stood a chance of actually seeing a courtroom.

15. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, this is why I admire the man so much. He went into office with a plan to disarm the Soviets. His thoughts were to bankrupt them so that they could not afford to keep things going. I personally am amazed that he did it. Remember "Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall". That was an amazing speech. Personal wealth was increase, there was low inflation, low unemployment, etc. Now, was that the best economic policy, no. But it did make people pround to be American again, brought us together as a nation, and helped to end the cold war, although we know now that the cold war wasn't that bad right. At least then we knew who the enemy was.

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't know if it is that simple. I don't think Jobs would be gone if he got a hummer in his office in Cupertino. Same goes for Gates and a lot of other people in public companies. That's because the shareholders wouldn't want to lose them, even though they did something stupid.

The majority of people in this country didn't want Clinton to resign, so maybe ethically he was in a dilema. Does he resign and leave the country in the hands of someone they don't want, or does he stay and face the fire, but continue working for the people who want him there?

17. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Mr. Clinton worked for us. We were not his subordinates.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I remember living through the time, and I never heard anyone ever say that Reagan had a plan to bankrupt the soviets. On the other hand, there were always talks of how they had so much military we needed more. That one upmanship ended up bankrupting them, but I have never seen any evidence that it was some master plan that Reagan had.

Yes, I was proud as hell to be an American under Reagan. If I would have been old enough to vote, I would have voted for him both times he ran. But, couldn't a lot of your arguments about why Reagan was a good president be applied to Clinton?

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

True, but the situation is more akin to a CEO than a boss employee relationship. The CEO works for the Shareholders, but they can't "fire" him. The board of directors can.

20. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Oh, yea, that was one of the things that he talked about before taking office. There are also documents that are declassified now that you can read about it, and it is in his autobiography.

:)

And no, I can't apply them to Clinton, that is the nock on Clinton is that their is not a defining moment of his office.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Is that because Clinton was a bad president, or was it because while Reagan was in office, the Democratically controlled House and Senate worked with him to get things done (both sides compromising) while the Republican controlled house and senate played games to get their way (like shutting the government down) and did everything in their power to distract the president from doing anything (Will Kenneth Starr please report to the Republican war room please?)

22. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

No question about it, but that is politics. They gave each other a hard time, but in the end, BOTH sides compromised, and both sides got some of what they wanted. That changed under Clinton (and now too). Both sides want ALL of what they want, and none of what the other side wants.

I have always said the beauty of a two party system is that neither side gets everything, and you end up in the middle. It scares me a little bit now because I hear people talking like if one side or the other gets into power, they should be able to do whatever they want and put into play whatever they want.

The constitution has checks and balances, and we have more than one political party to make sure different opinions are represented and the final result of governmental action is a compromise that takes into account everyone's opinions and concerns.

It scares me a little to hear some hard core republicans talking about having the power now to undo lots of the things that were achieved through compromise so that they can have their way, to heck with everyone else.

24. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

And there's the problem, too many Americans are plain ignorant. Here are the facts...

WWI - Wilson, a Democrat
    WWII - Roosevelt, a Democrat
    Korea - Truman, a Democrat
    Vietnam - JFK (first sent troops there, LBJ escalated our participation), both Democrats
    Gulf War - Bush, a Republican

Now this doesn't count the various minor Operations we've been in, which have been under more Dems than Reps.

Depression started under around late '30 - '31 under Hoover, a Republican. Then in '32 Roosevelt took over and the Depression continued for a few more years. The US wasn't fully out of the Depression until WWII, that was the best thing to happen to the US economy wise.

70's gas crisis was under Carter, a Democrat, our current economy started going down hill under Bubba.

People are fools for thinking the President influnces the economy to begin with, it's a nautral cycle and a President gets lucky if it just so happens they are in office when it's good. Reagan and Clinton did nothing to help our bussling economy, they were just there at the right time.

He may be one of the finest Presidents of all time to you, but not to myself or a number of people in Upstate NY. History will look back on Clinton and see that he was in the right place at the right time. He had nothing to do with our booming economy. It was the internet and technology that made our economy strong.

25. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

"clinton sucks like a blow job"

:D

expected response from a fellow poster --- "hardy har har very funny krossfyter :rolleyes: "

nah.