Tired of ? that have simple answers if they only did research

Discussion in 'Community' started by flyfish29, May 1, 2004.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I am a teacher and I like to say there are not stupid questions, but there are lazy ones! Is anyone else getting tired of the person posting a question that literally takes seconds to answer themselves if they simply weren't lazy. I know many who try to search the forums(many newbies don't know you can!) and not found their answer which is fine...go ahead and post after searching, but I am talking about the ones that if you go to the company web site and click one link that is very obvious it tells the person their answer to their question right there in black and white.

I just feel like so many are being lazy and don't try to answer the question themselves by doing at least a little research. All I ask is a little google, or check out the company site, search the company support forums, etc. I am not saying they should search for hours or even a half hour, but at least a couple of minutes instead of relying on someone else doing the simple research for them.:eek:

Done venting now. :D

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

For me, I don't mind. Honestly, I like to get my 2 cents in before it's too late (like this post, for example.) It gives me an opportunity to say something.

Although, I think that some people (including myself from time to time) totally forget to do a quick (or medium-length) search about an issue. Now, I'm not sure how you define lazyness, but I think the situation you described demonstrates forgetfulness more so than lazyness.

...Or does lazyness lead to forgetfulness? 'Cause if that's the case, then...you freakin lazy asses! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's why the forums have the tar-and-feather button to conveniently ostracize the miscreant. Wait!!! Where's my tar-and-feather button? It was there before the last update! :(

Of course, I didn't look for previous threads discussing whether its okay for people to ask obvious questions before I posted about it just now. Come to think of it, there is a certain catch-22 when the first FAQ is always "Q: Where can I find a list of FAQs and answers on xxxx? A: At http:/...." since by the time you get there, there isn't so much of an issue anymore. :)

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The only question I don't like are the "Should I get the iBook or Powerbook?" question because if they look at the thread listed 5 down from their own, they'll get their answer.

And the classic: "Where should I get RAM?" question is just plain ol' dumb. Four or five threads are literally on the first page of the Hardware forum whenever Apple updates a product.

5. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I don't mind most of the questions. I think it's a bit of a cold shoulder to be so unhelpful and unfriendly as to always respond to a plea for help with a cursory dismissal that they should have searched for it. Not every problem is exactly the same and not every topic is easily searched for. One of the great strengths of the Mac community is our willingness to help each other out.

Questions don't bother me; rants do. Every day there's a new hothead ready to pronounce some app or piece of hardware an utter failure because it doesn't have one obscure feature that only they want.

6. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I don't mind most of them either, and I have NEVER said to anyone "just go search for it" or "that is a dumb question". I always help them if I can be of help and sometimes that entails me just searching the macforums for the thread that will help them and I always make sure they know from then on they can search the forums really easy for their questions.

I don't want to post the example I am thinking of as a really lazy question as I don't want to offend someone by commenting on it. I guess it is not that I don't want to help others out...even lazy people...but I feel like people need to generally respect other forum members and their time. I would say over 90% of the questions posted here are terrific questions.

7. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    I get very tired of this.

Someone will ask for a link to a file to download. There is such a things a Google. Plus, we have VersionTracker, MacUpdate....

Many people are just to lazy to go find something themselves.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm just waiting for a post that has the headline, "Help! Newbie question!" and the body: "I know I can probably find this on the web, but what does the acronym RTFM mean?" :D

I have to agree about the iBook / PB thing. When I was making the decision for my first Apple, I saw the six hundred threads on this topic and found out the answers to my questions pretty easily.

9. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

www.acronymfinder.com

i just love how that thread is reborn again after each powerbook update.

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Deviant[F]ART has something similar on their site, but better:

Q: Is there an FAQ?

A: No

As for the RAM thing: Get all your freakin' RAM here or here, and choose whichever is cheaper! (There, problem solved for exactly five more days.)

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    it gets tireseome but most of the time its newbs asking the question so i tend to give them slack. but after i answer it i also remind them of the search function.

that said sometimes their question may have elements answered in other threads but other parts that they cant find even when they did a search

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well that's fair enough, but sometimes people don't even care that a thread related to their question is posted at the very top of the first page of a forum.

I literally saw a '12inch Powerbook or 14" iBook' thread at the top of another forum. Isn't that the most popular question at Macrumours? That, plus the good old RAM vendor question. I answer the questions without much hesitation, and I don't give anybody grief about not looking on the 1st page of the forum because someone posted the same question, or searching beforehand, but its still annoying. I don't say anything, but it is what it is.

I'm sure I was like that when I switched over to using a Mac (7 months ago), so I can still understand the type of questions they're asking...

13. Awimoway macrumors 65816

That's fair enough. Posting a link to a thread that already covered the issue is a polite and subtle way of telling them they could have done their own homework.

14. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

One thing i never appreciate seeing is regulars "schooling" newbies to:

"Use the search function next time."

Why do you think they asked the question?
    1) They are new the community. Heck, they may be new to forums, period.
    2) They probably did NOT know about the search function before.

Everyone was a newbie once. Everyone. That is why I get irritated seeing people who get annoyed by what newbies do. Remember your roots for once. Unless you came on the forum, instantly a 500-1000post member, then PLEASE, have a little respect for new members. This is a PROBLEM on most forums though (there are always a few of those 1,000+ post member that feels he/she must act elitest and righteous with anyone less than their post count)

This is the same with games, but I'll talk about that later.
    (those who help you vs. those who DON'T).

15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Good point. I've been on different forums where there is no search function and when I went to my first ever forum I was very overwhelmed. People were kind enough to show me around, were patient with my questions, etc. I wasn't lazy, just needed a tour guide. There is a lot of "buttons" on this board and it can take some time to figure them all out. Kindness goes a long way.

16. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Wow, I don't think could have said it better.

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I remember when I first joined MacRumors, I had this problem with multiple posts...I would post a few things in a row in one thread. Each post would be rather substantive and encapsulate on key idea, but usually I thought of the second (or third) idea a minute or two after posting and felt it appropriate to go and add another reply. A gentle reminder or two from mods got me using the "edit" button more often. ;)

I think that it's just fine to suggest, in a polite way, to someone new or old that perhaps a better, more efficient, or more considerate way of approaching a particular method of expression would be to do "x."

But that's just me.

18. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Hehe there were a few times i might have done it. The edit button, on this forum is pretty big and blue...now I forgot what this place USED to look like...man my memory is getting shady now.

19. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Haha notice how I conveniently left out a "I" right before the "...could have..."

and yet you still understood it. Took me a while to see my mistake. Bah.

20. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I hate the way search works in vBulletin (and, for that matter, most forums). If I can't search for a complete phrase, it's very difficult to properly narrow down what I'm looking for.

21. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

What exactly do you mean about schooling...I simply gently let them know how things work so they will know. I wish someone had done that with me when I was a newbie...in fact I think it wasn't until 200 posts that I realized the forums were searchable. I always thought it was the articles that was searchable. I would like to see a title on the splash page of Macrumors have forum search at the bottom right next to the more... link in each forum section. I think this would help the problem.

I am so guilty of this...in fact I almost just did it again here. :eek:
    For me it was always a different quote but I never thought of cutting and pasting the quote into my other post like I did here.
    Hopefully I can curb this before I get a gentle reminders from the mods. :D

22. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

I don't see anything wrong with a quick answer and a polite "please use the search next time before asking a question"

how else is someone supposed to learn?

23. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I've been the lost newbie on enough forums to have some tolerance for people that have such basic questions. What I can't stand is people that want to take part in a thread without reading the posts in it. I mean, for long threads it's not as easy, but when it's 5-50 posts, just read them, see if your question/statement has been covered (ad nauseum, often). As well as people that pointedly ignore posts in arguments because they don't have a good comeback. It's just easier to leave that part out when quoting. :rolleyes:

One of the main reasons i don't argue much online anymore...

paul

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I have a high tolerance for newbies and don't mind repeated questions. I've found that it's not always as easy to find "obvious" answers as we think, when people don't know the right terminology, don't know how to spell a word, or are confused by all the choices of links on a forum page.

Sure, they could sometime work a little harder to find answers themselves, but it's nice to know that any of us could ask "what's a good program to use to make an avatar?" if we found it hard to find the answer easily, and somebody would come to our rescue.

Finally, since we have forums for "hardware discussion and help" and "software discussion and help", it reflects well on the site when we are helpful to anyone with a question.