'Tis the season for giving

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by livingfortoday, Dec 1, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Well, since the holidays are fast approaching, and I was planning on buying a goat like I did last year for charity, when I thought - why don't we setup some sort of group donation to charity? I mean, we could pick a few charities in our respective parts of the world, assemble a little list, and track how much we donate to them as a total group. We could just post if we give, or PM whoever runs the thread in order to have them edit the running totals in the original thread.

Anyone up for this? You know you were gonna buy that (RED) Nano, well why not do this, too?

Here's a short list of some places to get us started:
    Red Cross
    Salvation Army
    Save The Children - $12
    Toys For Tots

UNICEF - $50

Total - $62
  2. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
  3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    I Gave 10euros(around $12) to "Save The Children Fund"
  4. j26 macrumors 65832

Mar 30, 2005
    For last Christmas and Christmas coming and for her first birthday, part of my daughters present has been an animal - a swarm of bees (for honey), some rabbits, and a goat. We're going to keep doing it, and hopefully in time she will learn that it is good to help people, and ultimately as an adult it might help her realise how privileged she actually is.

Here's who I support (Irish charities);
    • Bothar (animals for the third world) €40
    • Trocaire (my wife prefers this one) €50
    • Goal (I prefer this one - less admin costs and no donations to governments) €50
    • Focus (deals with homeless in Ireland - how can this be happening in one of the richest countries in the world. I give a monthly payment of €20 for this)
    • Also, every year I organise a collection in work where people buy Santa presents for local children, generally in families that are disfunctional and they may not get any present at all. I think kids should have the magic of Christmas whatever their background. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do it last year or this year as I'm studying, but someone in work has taken over, and it continues. We normally get in excess of 200 presents from about 200 employees which represents about €5-6,000 each year.
  5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I guess my thinking was that we could agree upon a list of charities, and then give to them specifically as part of this? I don't know if that would work, or if more than a handful of people would donate, but... it's a thought. Any input, ideas, anything?