Titanium PB g4 palmrest trackpad replacement

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by California, Oct 29, 2004.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I had a great experience with Apple. They practically replaced everthing on my three year old Tibook 400mhz before expiration of Applecare a few months back.

New case parts, logic board, hd, keyboard -- no kidding. It's a new machine. Thank you apple.

But now I have developed a crack in the plastic white frame right above the speaker/earphone jack that is, in turn, causing a crack near the left hinge.

Apple today said that it would be over 600 bucks to fix. I bought a used palm rest frame and now, my Apple tech at a local university won't fix it. He is too nervous about all the parts underneath the case. What do you all think? The machine works like a dream -- I did have that same tech swap out the brand new 10gig hd for a travelstar 40 5400 and I am so bummed that my new old machine may literally fall apart if I don't keep it in one position on my desk! Should I part the machine out now or should I try to get the palmrest fixed with some other Apple tech? I am confused as to how difficult this job could be for a tech.

Oh and I forgot to say that the now cracked frame was also brand new from Apple!

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

How long is a "few months back?" Apple will generally guarentee anything they repair for 90 days, even if it that 90 days extends past the end of your warranty. You might be able to get Apple to take care of it for you, even though your AppleCare has expired.

3. Experiment13 macrumors newbie

Great Powerbook Repairs

I know the feeling when a powerbook breaks. I broke my LCD on an almost new PB 15"--$1,350.00 Apple quoted. A friend found a source of repair which I used at nearly half the price. I couldn't say better things about them. They know alot about the powerbooks including the Titanium models. Chances are it will come back in better shape than it was new.

Try http://www.wegenermedia.com/

The service and price was great as I mentioned. Good luck.

4. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Thanks Elan and Ex 13 --

The case replacment was actually back in April. The logic board was in August. Apple said they could not honor another replacement.

I will call up your guys in SC Ex 13; thanks for the tip. If anyone has any repair guys that are good in L A, I'd much appreciate.

5. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Well, I think what I'm going to do is send the computer in to Daystar for their 550mhz upgrade to the 400mhz Tibook -- about 275.00. For fifty bucks more, they said they would replace the top case for me with my replacement part. I am very grateful for this -- thanks to Gary there as this will solve my problem!