Titanium Powerbook Won't Install Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pistol44, Sep 21, 2005.

1. pistol44 macrumors newbie

I recently had two 15" 867 Titanium Powerbooks brought into the store that needed an Tiger upgrade. In both cases, on installation, the installer errored. The Powerbooks both took 10.3.9 just fine. I tried just about everything I could think of. I tried installing with another disk, installing all the updates for 10.3.9, and doing an installation without all the fonts and printer drivers. The funny thing is an Apple System Engineer came in yesterday who happened to have the same Powerbook and was running Tiger. He said there shouldn't be any reason the Powerbooks won't install. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Bear macrumors G3

So, what errors are you getting?

And what type of Tiger install are you trying? (Upgrade? Archive & INstall? Clean Install?)

Some of the little twekas that change the appearance of the desktop or dock could be an issue if you're trying to do an upgrade install.

3. pistol44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done everything (upgrade, archive, and clean). It's a completely reformatted system. It's not really an error message, it just freezes during installation. I've been able to use this disc on other computers and I've tried different disc images.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Since you've wiped the systems, may I suggest that you try and do a clean Panther install and see if that still works?
    Also, where does it hang? At some point during the install it does a media scan of the hardrive which takes a while.

5. California macrumors 68040

California

I've owned a lot of Titaniums. First off, if its an OEM drive, time to get a new one. 4200 RPMs is VERY SLOW. And if it is an OEM Fujistu drive rather than an Hitachi, I'll bet its failing. There is no incompatiblility issue with your Tibook and Tiger. Hardware issue == hope it is not your logic board.

6. pistol44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a clean install with Panther and it worked (on both machines). Then I did an upgrade with Tiger on one and an archive and install on the other. Both failed. I've done enough Tiger installations to know where it should take a while and where it shouldn't.

The HD theory sounds interesting. Like I said before, these are not my Titaniums, they are two totally different customers. Both are having the same problems. I've been messing with them for a couple days now. I know there should be no Tiger-Titanium problems which is why this is so wierd. I was hoping this had happened to someone else since it has happened to me on two unrelated Powerbooks of the same model.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Sounds like you are some sort of technician. Are you using the retail discs, machine specific install disc, or a burned version of either???

8. pistol44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used retail and burned images. I'm an Apple Education Reseller that does technical work for a lot of departments on campus. We have an Apple Authorized Technician on campus but I try to limit the load a little bit before it gets to them. I called Apple today and they basically had no idea so they asked me to send one of the Powerbooks in so they can look. I'll let you know what they tell me.

9. California macrumors 68040

California

Maybe erase the hard disc totally and install? I did that recently with a failing logic board on the tibook 1ghz -- though I was working with original Panther discs. Does it have to do with the fact that Tibooks also are OS 9 capable? Still guessing failing hard drive.