Title change converts file type to UNIX EXCUTIBLE FILE!!!!????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Feb 21, 2005.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

I changed a jpg image name to "1", and it changed the file type to a "Unix Excutible File" or whatever, and the icon preview changed grey with "exec" in the corner....

WHAT THE F!!!!!

how do i change it back to a jpg????? very important!

thanks,

r.

APPARENTLY ANY NAME CHANGE TURNS THE FILES INTO A UNIX EXCUTIBLE FILE! very scared....

...APPARENTLY I changed the name back to it's original name and it returned to it's original jpg state.....

.... BUT WHY CAN'T I CHANGE THE NAMES/?????

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Make the name "1.jpg", not just "1".

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

I figured it out. that never happened to me before, not since osx 10.1.0.0.0

it's kinda alarming.

thanks,

r.

4. cazlar macrumors 6502

How are you changing the file name? I just did a quick test and by editing it directly in finder, I can rename the file fine. e.g. File called "test.jpg", click on it, hit enter, call it "t" and it is known by the system as "t.jpg" even though the finder shows only "t".

However, if I open up "get info" and change it there to "t", the OS asks me whether I really want to drop the .jpg extension, and if I hit yes it becomes an unknown file (blank doc icon).

5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i was changing the name by clicking on the icon in the finder just as you. i have it set to show file name extentions (or whatever it's called).

and it didn't know to change it to a jpeg.

very strange, isn't it?

i thought the finder knew by default to add the .jpg or whatever file extention to the name. but for some reason it isn't working for me anymore. why would it stop?

p.s.

i duplicated the jpg photo, taken directly from my sony camera, and put it on the desktop. duplicated it (so as not to loose it just in case), and then renamed it "1". same thing, a unix file thingie. "1.jpg" and it's just fine.

however.... a jpeg who's default application is photoshop renames regularly. very strange.

p.p.s.

i take an old photo taken with the same camera and dulplicate it. i go in it's info and change it's default app to photoshop, and then change the name to "1". it converts to a funny icon of a circle, triangle, and square. and it won't open in photoshop, "because it is not the right kind of document".

streangie.

6. isgoed macrumors 6502

I had encountered this problem already months ago (before 10.3.7, maybe even 10.3.0). I believe it only arises with files wich have their type set by the extension only (and it's not just jpeg files). I have no sollution though.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I think you are right, some apps will not set the Mac file type & creator as resources, then it must fall back on the extension, and if you rename the file to remove the extension, it's a generic file. That information can also get lost when transferred over a network or emailed. You can set the type with XRay, a great utility app. Use 'JPEG' as the type, '.jpg' as the extension, and your favorite photo editing app as the creator (Photoshop, Graphic Converter, etc.).