TiVo and Comcast Link Up

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WildCowboy, Mar 15, 2005.

1. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Did a quick search and didn't see it mentioned on the forums, and I thought some people might be interested with the rumors of Apple going after TiVo, but TiVo finally made a deal with Comcast to have their software installed on Comcast's DVRs starting in mid-to-late 2006.

http://news.com.com/TiVo,+Comcast+reach+DVR+deal/2100-1041_3-5616961.html

I had TiVo for awhile and loved almost every aspect of it, but was continually frustrated by only having a single tuner, so I switched to Comcast; the lower monthly cost and lack of an equipment fee certainly helped too. While I'm keeping my Comcast box because of the two-tuner value, the interface is nowhere near as good as TiVo's and the box itself (Motorola 6412) absolutely sucks...I'm on my third one in six weeks. They overheat, they don't recognize my subscription packages, and they're much louder than the TiVo boxes.

So this deal solves part of the problem (once the TiVo software gets deployed)...I'll get the TiVo ease-of-use but still be stuck with the crappy Motorola box unless they come out with an improved model sometime soon.

Anybody else with thoughts on the deal?

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I HATE Comcast so much.(It's a long story) Its a shame.....

I love TiVo too....

3. WildCowboy thread starter Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I hate Comcast too (it takes their customer service reps about ten minutes to read through my file history each time I call...I was going to put them on speed dial, but I have the number memorized), but as long as you can actually get stuff to work, you can get great deals...$70/month for Digital Silver cable with HBO, DVR, and cable internet.

4. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

DirecTV is so much better in terms of product and customer service. It's a shame they're dropping TiVo as their DVR platform.

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Love TIVO, loved DirecTV, hated Comcast, hate RCN. The condo building I moved into this year only allows cable (no dishes) and they have a contract with RCN that expires this summer. I'd really like to find a better alternative to Comcast or RCN.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i'm indifferent about comcast. However, i love the DVR they gave me. Its a great tool. If tivo ads their functionality to it, even better.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

On a related note, TiVo stock jumped something like 75% yesterday.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

yeah 75%, thats like $2.

actually the only good "business" aspect of Tivo is the name. Tivo is in the ranks with Kleenex, Palm, or coke. They were the first to capture the minds of the market place.
    When 3com spun off Palm. Palm was loosing money all over because of hardware, so then they just became Palm-one and now just license their software.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yes, but think in quantity - if you'd just purchased $2000 in TiVo stock, you'd just made (if you sold) $1500. Now go to $10,000, etc.

75% in one day is a huge gain.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

For the price that I pay for Basic Cable, I don't really have another choice than Comcast. Its not bad for the price that I pay, that is the only reason that I don't complain. Don't like the way these monopolies try to nickel and dime you with all these extras. Comcast is the one that is making the money. Don't have Tivo now, but don't see the need for it in the future.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

You don't know what you're missing! TiVo, and I have 2 of them, is awesome. Skip commercials. Set recordings weeks in advance. Record all episodes of a program automatically. Search for programs by title, actor, etc.

Even if you don't watch a lot of TV, like me, it's nice to have so you can control how you watch TV. It's great just being able to start watching a show 15 minutes after it's started, then skip all the commercials as you go along!

12. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Well I for one am glad the rumors didn't come true.

13. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Agreed. ANYONE with a television and basic cable will benefit from TiVo. As someone who doesn't watch a lot of TV either, I can say that it's great to know that when I sit down to watch, it's going to be something I actually like.

Many people pay $30/50/70 a month for content that they're rarely home to watch, or they're home but doing something else. Having a TiVo means that you're actually getting better value out of your existing cable/sat service. Not to mention that if I come home in the middle of my favorite show, I can always rewind to the beginning at watch it commercial-free. Or, if I get a phone call or need to make a quick run to the store, I can just pause live-TV and continue watching when it's convinent for me.

I've turned on 4 friends to TiVo and each of them said, "I don't watch enough TV to need a TiVo." After a day with the service they all say the same thing, "I don't know how I ever lived without TiVo."

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

There is an article about the roll out of Tivo in the Boston Globe today. It says that Comast plans to make it available next year. Mentions that it will work with current subscriber digital cable box for an extra fee. With basic I don't need a box. Also don't have digital.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I know the feeling. My mother-in-law has Comcast and service is horrible and expensive compared to my Cox service

16. Lynxpro macrumors 6502

Nothing about this *deal* precludes Apple from acquiring TiVo. If anything, it strengthens the chances. If you recall, the objections Steve Jobs had about entering the set-top box/DVR market were the hurdles overcoming monopolies like Comcast. Well, now TiVo has a deal with Comcast, and it sounds like its a good one. I expect Time Warner Cable will follow soon since they are using the same DVR set-top boxes as Comcast.

Who makes the majority of these set-top boxes? Motorola. Who has a good working relationship with Apple currently? Motorola.

This agreement pretty much sums up that Comcast won't interfere with TiVo in implementing CableCard solutions for TiVo branded DVRs sold to consumers. That's good. Apple could springboard off this by boosting up the TiVo DVR set top box with an Airport card, native H.264 compression, you name it. Apple would also bring the economies-of-scale to TiVo's hardware costs, driving down their expenses and possibly even making a small profit off the machine itself. Continuing on the CableCard issue, Apple could add TiVo's software to iLife 06, and then sell an external Firewire based box that the CableCard could interface in, for those Mac purchasers who want DVR functions in their Mac. That would be ideal for multi-room viewing too without having to pay for additional set-top boxes.

So I must say, if anything, the Comcast deal makes TiVo even more attractive. Plus, the deal doesn't kick in until 2006, so TiVo's stock could be driven back down to the historic lows again by that time.

17. Lynxpro macrumors 6502

RCN? Is that Rogers Cable of Canada? Because if not and you are in the States, that condo is violating Federal law. The Feds made it illegal for condos and apartment complexes to prohibit DBS satellite dishes because the FCC wanted to increase competition for pay television. The law can be found on the FCC's website.

18. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Unless you have an HDTV setup, in which case Tivo is all but useless. I unplugged my Tivo and now use a Scientific-Atlanta DVR provided by Time-Warner cable.

19. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Not it's not. :rolleyes: I have three HDTVs in my house, and two DirecTV w/ Tivo receivers in my house. (My third receiver is HD but does not have Tivo.)

I can record two programs while watching a third. Those two programs can be either standard-def or high-def, be it over DirecTV or terrestrial (over-the-air).

Tivo is anything but useless w/ HDTV.

20. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

I suppose I should have clarified...adding a standalone TiVo into an existing HDTV setup (Time-Warner HD set-top box, the Scientific-Atlanta 8300HD) will not work, as TiVo does not have HD inputs, only HD (component) outputs. There is no way to get a component or DVI HD signal into a standalone TiVo.

I'm sure that limitation does not exisit with the DirecTV/TiVO combo, which I do not have.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Is your quality of service superior to Comcast? What are your expenses for Cox like? Sounds as though you are the beneficiary of very healthy competition.

22. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Services like TiVo really are great for people who love TV but don't have the time or convenience of watching based on what TV stations and advertisers think are the best. I work 12 hour days, and not also available at night to watch most of the better shows.

I catch up to my favorite shows during break times, and since most hourlong shows are only 42 minutes, it saves a lot of time. But really I believe the next step is downloading TV shows off the net (especially for rare and specialty shows)

23. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Sure, but you can get an HD DirecTiVo which allows you to view/record content in true HD. Of course, you'd have to switch cable providers. But DirecTV is the best (IMO).

24. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Honestly, I'm thinking about just building a cheap PC with a lot of hard drive space, and one of these:

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9600/aiw9600xt/

I don't want another monthly bill, and I'll be damned if Comcast is going to get another penny out of me.

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is exactly why I have Basic. It's just $9.16 a month.