TiVo HMO can't play iTMS songs?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by emw, Oct 27, 2004.

1. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Forgive me if this has been covered before - I couldn't find anything in a search...

I was finally going to run some of my iTunes through my TiVo using the Home Media Option, and lo and beyold, none of the music I've paid for from iTMS seems to show up. All of the stuff I've recorded off my CDs does, though.

Although I could kind of see how this may be disabled - it's a form of music sharing - it seems odd. I could play my iPod (if I had one) through my stereo if I want to, but I can't play purchased music through TiVo?

Anyone else seen this?
  2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    TiVo can't play AAC songs, which are what the iTMS songs are really, just DRM protected. TiVo's can play MP3s, WAVs, and AIFFs I believe. I hope they add support for at least normal AACs soon...
  3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

May 30, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Even if they do make support for AAC, you won't be able to play your iTMS songs. Apple will almost definately not licence Fairplay to litsten to iTMS songs on TiVo.
  4. veedubdrew macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    My TiVo plays AACs from my music library, but won't play protected ones from iTMS. I have no MP3s on my hard drive and and I play music through my TiVo occasionally. I have a Series 2, 40GB TiVo (the cheapo $99 one) for reference. Perhaps last gen models can't play AACs?

5. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    As mentioned by someone above, TiVo's can play AAC's. I remember reading something (maybe in TiVo's HMO FAQ) to the effect that they were rebuffed by Apple when they inquired about liscensing Fairplay.

Roku has also hit the same snag when trying to liscense Fairplay.

At the time, it seemed odd that Apple would refuse to liscense Fairplay, but since the introduction of the Airport Express (and AirTunes), the reason becomes obvious. Apple doesn't want any competition for AirTunes. :(
  6. emw thread starter macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I was thinking it might be something like that. I really don't want to have to buy the Airport Express to play downloaded music, but it may be a reasonable option.

Then again, I may also just finally invest in an iPod and get one of the external speaker setups or the iTrip for it. I am mainly looking for a way to play music while I work out or if we're entertaining, and the TiVo thing seemed like a cool idea since I already had it available...

Ah well.