Tivo in a mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wakerider017, Sep 21, 2006.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Hey guys!

I have a few simple questions...

How is Tivo able to record digital cable? Does it somehow communicate with the digital cable box?

I see that they have some devices out for watching tv on a Mac... Can you hook any of these devices up to a digital cable box and still have them work right?

Basicly, I want to watch and record tv on my apple and I have digital cable...

I know you could hook up the cable box to a regular tv cable device... but then you would not be able to record shows in the future... You would have to change the station on the cablebox... (You know what I am saying?)

I don't want to have to use the cablebox to change the stations... Is there anyway to do this?

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    There are several ways to get this done, but none of them worth the money you spend, IMO. Elgato has a lot of solutions for this (www.elgato.com) and yes, you can turn the stations directly on the mac.

I'm still waiting for a device that records to the Mac, but streams to the TV with Tivo like functions. Why in the hell no one has made this, I don't know. My project next year will be building a MythBox for such a thing.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Incoming cable line goes to the box. Run a line from cable box to TiVo. Run a box from TiVo to TV. Use built-in TiVo IR cables to control cable box.

It doesn't look pretty, but I guess it works. I don't use my TiVo with a box.

Info: http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1029.htm?

4. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

So basicly that "Serial" cable is what controls the Tivo.

Is that the same deal with the Elgato?

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I have mine set up like emw:

Incoming cable line goes to the box. Run a line from cable box to TiVo. Run a cable from TiVo to TV.

My new cable box (made by Motorola) uses a serial cable to communicate between the box and the TiVo - much more stable than the flaky IR cables I used to have to use with my old cable box.

6. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

does anyone make a HDTV one?

Maybe when the iTV comes out they will have a cable input!