TiVo or Comcast

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irain, Dec 29, 2005.

1. irain macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2005
    I can't decide whether I want to get TiVo or Comcast DVR for my bedroom TV. I currently have Comcast Digital Cable.

Does anyone have experience with both or even one of the two?

If so, what were the pros and cons?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I had both until 2 weeks ago (I cancelled comast DVR, but still have their cable). Here is my quick advice:

Reasons for Comcast:
    When the box dies you get another one, no extra cost

Reasons for TiVo:
    Better, easier to use menus
    Better, easier to use Season Pass
    Better show searching
    Ability to Rate shows

TiVo blows Comcast DVR out of the water in every area except price. Do yourself a major favor and put out the extra money and get TiVo.
  3. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    I have Tivo but when I bought a HD TV for the basement I didn't know how to set it up with the HD...instead of getting rid of it I'm putting it in my bedroom.

Anyways...I think Tivo is a very nice service. I love the interface, it's very easy to use. I haven't had any experience with Comcasts DVR

I believe Comcasts DVR service is cheaper than Tivo but IMO I think Tivo is worth the $
  4. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    If you need High Def... Comcast is your only option. Tivo can't do HiDef.

If you don't.... still go with Comcast since it's only $10/month extra. It's not as nice, but there's no cash outlay, and it's "good enough". If you hate it, drop it and buy the Tivo.

5. deadlygopher macrumors member

Nov 28, 2005
    Eugene, OR
    if you have a fry's near you, get a replayTV. they are only $49. you could get a Tivo, but that is $200 with a $150 rebate if you get service for a year. i love my tivo. it is really good (but overpriced)
  6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    If your cable box has a FireWire port, call Comcrap, tell them to turn it on, and then hook it up to your Mac. :D
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I have a Replay also. It is nice. I think in hindsight, I would've bought a TiVo. I love this thing, and it has very good ethernet support (and there is an open source program that lets you download videos off it onto a Mac). The only thing I will say against it is that if I had to guess which company is more likely to go out of business and take my $300 lifetime service fee with them, the one I chose will probably go first. :( As long as Replay remains in business, I'm happy. :)
  8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    I have TiVo in my bedroom and i use TiVoToGo to record shows to DVD if i want, or just watch there. In my main room i have Comcast as TiVo will not record HD programming.

I hear chatter at another forum i frequent http://tivocommunity.com/ that this coming year TiVo will be introducing a CableCard HD/Dobly Digital ready stand alone box, when that happens i will be one of the first in line to buy one and cancel my Comcast box.

9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA

I actually think that Replay has already gone out of business once and the division was sold off to another company. Ontop of that, I never have paid a service fee for my replay.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    How did you get it to get a guide from their servers? Don't you have to be registered to get the guide?
  11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005